Options

Has anyone had success with a donor 1st IVF

Has anyone had success with a sperm donor on the first round of IVF? I am in my mid 40's and am trying with my own eggs. Also, are there any good looking Irish and Italian guys? I don't know where to begin......

Thanks so much everyone.

Comments

• Options
    I had 2 IUI's and 1 IVF. I was 37 at the time of my procedures. The IVF didn't work because my donor had low motility. I selected another donor and this time found out his prgnancy rate (didn't do that with my 1st donor and realized he didn't have any reported births). I got pregnant with the new donor 2nd try at IUI.

When selecting your donor call and make sure they have reported pregnancies and births.

Good luck and if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.

Susan
  • Options
    HI,

I got lucky on my first iui with no meds, the dr used 2 viles. Good luck!
  • Options
    Can i do IUI vs IVF? Why is my doctor suggesting IVF because of m age? It is 10k per cycle. Just curious as i am 47. This is my dream of having a child. Thank you -
  • Options
    I think age is probably the reason your doctor suggested IVF. Does your insurance cover any of the costs? I didn't think mine did until I researched it. It covered almost all of it except a few thousand towards meds and of course donor vials.
  • Options
    No nbound72 my insurance does not cover anything - i have blue cross/blue shield and they call it prexisting conditions. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Smilingmary - perhaps you can talk to your RE and compare the success rates between IVF and IUI for women in your age range? If the success rate for IVF was significantly higher, then I guess that would justify the extra cost.

Alternatively, have you considered doing mini IVF? I have read it's a good option for women in their mid forties, plus it is cheaper than conventional IVF. I know someone doing a cycle, and I think she said it cost $4k.

Good luck!
  • Options
    what is mini IVF LilyM138? I am going for my ivf consultation very soon. Thanks so much.
  • Options
    Hi - Just saw this post. I got pregnant with my first ivf at the age of 43, however, I miscarried at 8 weeks with trisomy 10. My case is pretty sterotypical for female my age with NO KNOWN fertility issues - ie, can get pregnant but EGG QUALITY due to age!!! is the issue. I did my IVF at Cornell in NY, with Dr. Goldschlag, highly recommend him. Although what I did is not officially a "mini-IVF" (Cornell doesn't do mini-IVFs) it is similar in that the goal is quality over quantity in number of follicles. I believe the one thing about min-IVF (the official version of a mini-IVF) is that there is less monitoring of your progress/response to medication. GOOD LUCK!!!
  • Options
    thank you :)