Lupron help

i was wondering if anyone has had this experience with lupron during an IVF cycle:

i was on birth control and lupron together for a few days (standard). i stopped the bc and kept injecting lupron (standard). my IVF calendar said to expect menses a few days after stopping the bc. the last day i took bc was january 13th. it is now the 25th and i haven't started yet. i went to the RE on wed. the 14th and i had 2 cysts that were producing estrogen. my RE said to continue the lurpon for another week to see if my estrogen goes down. i went back last wed. the 21st and the cysts were still there. my estrogen did drop, but not much. so i was given yet another week of 20 un. of lurpon. i go back this coming wed. to check my estrogen level again. the problem is, i haven't started my period, and i do not see my estrogen dropping until that happens.

my question is: if you did IVF and you were on lupron, did you have to be on the lurpon for an extended amount of time before it did what it was supposed to do? and if so, how long did you have to be on it before it finally dropped your E2 levels to where the needed to be to start the stims? i can't start the stims until my E2 level drops to below a 70. last wed. it was in the 400's.

thanks for your help!

ginny

Comments

• good luck today, Ginny.
  • My IVF cycle was cancelled last week because of cysts. I took Lupron 10 shots for 14 days and the cysts developed, then continued Lupron 20 shots for 6 more days with the cysts staying the same and a huge estrogen number. Just like you.

My RE said that Lupron should not be given more than 3 weeks and in some people it just does not work to fully suppress. She had me stop the shots, wait for my period to come and then start another cycle with Ganirellix instead of Lupron. I just ordered the new meds and am waiting for AF to come.

Based on my situation, I think that you will stop Lupron and wait for your period to hopefully resolve your cysts. Just make sure that you don't start another Lupron cycle because the same thing will happen.
  • Thanks, Beatrice! Finally, someone that has been thru this!

i went back y'day to the RE to see if the 2nd extra week of lupron had done any good. my cysts DOUBLED in size!!! so, they did cancel my cyle and told me exactly what you said they would. so yesterday i get the call from the doc letting me know what my estrogen level was, and i was expecting it to still be high. but, it was 36! finally it went down!

the good news is i can move forward with the stims. the bad news is i can move forward ONLY if i get the cysts aspirated (drained). i go in tomorrow at 10 am for this. i am elated that i get to start the stims. i've wiated so long for this. but of course i'm not excited about the aspiration. but, i'm going to do it and it'll be all finished in 5 min or less. it's going to hurt but i can handle it!

good luck with the new drug you will be on. that's the drug they were going to put me on if my estrogen didn't drop. i hope your AF comes quickly so you can get this all over with.

thanks again for your help!

ginny
  • Ginny~

I am so sorry that you will have to have this cyst aspiration tomorrow but I'm super excited that you get to move on to your stims!!

I'll be thinking of you tomorrow! Good luck!!
  • thanks, kimi!!!! i am excited too! have you had an aspiration before?
  • ginny,

I was going to have to have a vaginal aspiration b/c I developed a cyst after my first IUI. The doctor told me that it was a newer, less invasive procedure...not as painful, not as long, not as intrusive. I did lots of research, preparing myself for it (but didn't end up having it), and found the research to be very positive. Good luck tomorrow! I am so incredibly happy that your estrogen is only 36!!!!! Woohoo!!! You so deserve it! The procedure will be over before you know it and you will be able to move forward now. :)

kathy
  • thanks, kathy!!! :-) i hope you are doing well! any morning sickness or any sickness at all? i heard you saw the heart beat. how amazing! congratulations!
  • ginny,

How did it go this morning???

No, I have never had to get it done. Fortunately, the only time I had a cyst it resolved on it's own.

Kimberly
  • Hey ginny!! I heard the aspiration went well!! That is great! You are ready to go now, huh?! How awesome is that....and you thought you were going to have to wait a few months, huh??

No morning sickness yet; well, last night I went on a walk and I got extremely quesy and felt like I was going to throw up...but I didn't. I thought it was eating and walking too soon after that, but CJ thinks it might be the start of morning sickness...who knows?? Hopefully not. Yes, we got to see the heart beating!! Next Thursday we will go back and hear it. I am super excited!

kathy
  • you guys, the cyst aspiration was a piece of cake!!! i am a little sore today (sunday) but no big deal. thanks for all the prayers and thoughts. :-)

stims start tonight! woo hoo!!!