Options

Sperm Count IUI?

My partner and I use an RE and we never get to know the sperm count before insemination.

After reading many of your posts, I realize many of you know the sperm count of your donor. For those of you that know, can you please let us know of sperm counts (per vial) that you have experienced with CCB?

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    My OB didn't run tests on it because they would have to take some of it and we wanted to keep it all for usage!! But It's on the paperwork when you receive your vial from CCB... Have you received a shipment yet or have the paperwork handy?
  • Options
    I just grabbed my paperwork, where it says Avg. Co - that is average count and it is in the million, Avg. Mo - that is average motility and it is a percent.

We heard the 11 million from CCB as well but the guy we talked with said that is the minimum, I'm not sure that is the average?

I also did some research and they say an average man's sperm in "ejac" is about 250M but keep in mind that many of them don't even swim up through the cervix and when doing an IUI as long as your RE is going to the top of the uterus, pretty much all of the little swimmers make it to the opening of the fallopian tubes.

If they swim up is dependent on motility percent. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Thanks for your reply and congrats on your success. Our sample is sent directly to the hospital where our insemination takes place. Every time I read posts where they talk about the motility and the number, I am always curious where they get that information. Every time I ask the nurse (after the thawing), she said "yea they look good." Do you get actual numbers from your RE?

We are on attempt 8 with a m/c on the 4th one. It is becoming very hard. We are on our 3rd round of 50mg. clomid.

When did you test for your surge? Did you have an u/s or trigger?
  • Options
    Our vials are sent directly to the Dr's office as well. When the Dr came in to do the IUI, she just offered up the info that our count was 48 million. I thought they always checked them under the scope to make sure that there is at least a minimum (since CCB guarantees a certain number) as well as motility. Maybe if you just ask for specifics? Good luck!
  • Options
    thesnowaway, which donor did you use?
  • Options
    Your RE should be able to tell you IF they use a lab in house.
    If they only thaw and do IUI, you will get the count of when it was shipped. That is not the same count as when it thaws because they don't all make it.
    For example, my IUI today the count was 53 million. However, after they thaw and see how many are alive and swimming, the count was 20 million.
    It does make a big difference.
    We have had as low as 10 million and so 20 million is fantastic.
    Hope that helps.