Options

CMV

I am currently CMV negative but decided to go with a CMV positive donor. Any feedback from anyone else who is in the same situation as to true risk for me and my potential baby?

Comments

• Options
    Hi Z -

There are a few things that should be known about CMV.

Exposure to this virus is quite common; about 50-85% of adults test positive for CMV in the U.S.

Donors listed on our catalog as "Total CMV Antibody:Positive" have been exposed to the virus in the past and carry the antibodies. They did not have an active or recent CMV infection at the time of donation. (Applicants or donors with an active or recent CMV infection cannot participate in our donor program.)

We encourage you to consult with your physician on this matter. According to published medical literature, the risk of acquiring CMV from a healthy sperm donor with a history of an old CMV infection is very low. The risk is furthered lowered if you use washed sperm (IUI vials) and there's virtually no chance of transmission if undergoing IVF with ICSI.

We have never had a documented case of CMV transmission from one of our donors to a recipient or child in our 39-year history.

You can read more about CMV via the link below or you may also speak with one of our medical directors, Dr. Jaime Shamonki, who is extremely knowledgeable about CMV. You can reach her at x1207.

http://cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Donor-Qualification/Infectious-Diseases-Screening/CMV-Testing/

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB