Options

ICI vs IUI

Hello everyone! I am new to this whole thing, so if I ask questions that have already been answered, please direct me to them!

My doctor seems to think that I should be able to get pregnant without too much difficulty, due to my age and regular cycle, and suggested we try ICI because it is less invasive, etc. But from what I have been reading, IUI seems to be more popular, I assume because it is more successful. Does anyone know if how much greater your chances of becoming pregnant are with IUI?

Comments

• Options
    Hmm... don't really know but I think your chances are better with IUI since the sperm are placed closer to the egg(s) since they are placed in your uterus... less swimming for the swimmers... versus ICI where they go in your cervix... more distance to swim.
  • Options
    From what I've read and researched you do have a slightly better chance of getting pregnant using IUI. While ICI has a higher sperm count, and the sperm lives a little longer, with an IUI, you are only using the best swimmers, you're usually monitored so you have better timing, and you are having a professional do the procedure and placing them IN the cervix instead of them having to find their own way there. Some people seem to like the idea of starting with ICI's because they can be completed at home and its a more intimate experience. I went straight to IUIs just because if I was going to invest that much time and money, I wanted my best chance of getting pregnant, and it still took me 5 months and over 10 IUIs to get there. But I've known women who get pregnant on their first ICI, so you never know.
  • Options
    My doctor said there was a 25% higher chance of getting pregnant using the IUI method, in fact its the only way she recommends.. plus I still found it to be less uncomfortable than your average pelvic exam.
  • Options
    My doctor felt the same as buckman's doctor...ICI isn't even an option there. We did IUI (unmedicated) and got pregnant on the first try.

Good luck!