Options

Perfect timing?

Is there a 100% preferred time to do IUI (with frozen sperm) after +OPK?

I have been reading and reading and reading and am finding so much information! I have come to the understanding that it is thought that frozen and thawed sperm does not last as long as fresh sperm. Some say a few hours lifespan and others say 78 hours?! IUI's are typically performed 24 hours after +OPK. Some say 36 hours some say 48. I know that every body is different and therefore it is almost impossible to say "what will work perfectly for one should work for another too"....

With that in mind... just looking to get some CCB stats from all of you lucky ladies who came up with a BFP after an IUI. At what point during the day did you see your +OPK and then how many hours later was your IUI done? Medicated or no? THANKS! Hope some details can help me decide when I want to schedule my IUI.

Comments

• Options
    Stats?
  • Options
    I think timing is extremely important. For me, I didn't use any clomid or shots, just all natural timing. My RE did have me on DHEA, fish oil, CoQ10 and Reservitol to help plump my eggs up and help my ovarian function.

I started my ovulation testing for my LH surge on day 10 (Sept 16) after the 1st day of my cycle (Sept 7). I had my LH surge on Sept 20 in the am about 8am (I had also checked the night before, 5pm-ish and it was starting to have a faint positive but wasn't a BIG positive). I called that am and scheduled my 1st IUI for Sept 21 @ 0845, right at 24 hrs later. Oddly, I felt the cramping of the egg releasing during the night before my IUI. I did a progesterone test at 1 week, Sept 28, which showed that I in fact did ovulate. AND THEN...I had a BFP on Oct 5!!

Beta HCG looked good yesterday, 2nd beta tomorrow. 1st ultrasound 2 weeks after that! Never would have expected it to take on the 1st try, but it did! Now my RE has me on progesterone 2x a day to help the pregnancy stick and keep my uterine lining good :)

Hope that helps and GOOD LUCK!!
  • Options
    I never did the OPK kits. My dr had me come in on day 12 to measure follicles. Based on the size, we would schedule the trigger shot within the next 12 hours. Then 36 hours after the trigger shot, we did the IUI.

My understanding is your egg lasts about 24 hours. As long as you get the sperm in there sometime in those 24 hours, you have a shot. It does not matter if the egg releases and then you do the IUI or if you do the IUI and then feel the egg releasing. As long as they have time to meet up, you are fine. So, if you feel cramping when you ovulate, as long as you are within 24 hours of that cramping, you should be timing it right.
  • Options
    Does anyone actually "feel" ovulation? What if I don't? I turned the kit on day 17 and 18 last month but didn't have time to order the sperm. This month I have the sperm waiting at the clinic today is day 17, no surge yet. Just trying to figure out what to do, how I would know if I missed it, etc. thx
  • Options
    Austingurl and aggiede,

Good info, thanks!

Gina
  • Options
    Runnagurl... Make sure you start testing several times a day for the surge. When I got pregnant with my son I ovulated on day 14 or 15 I think, which was a long cycle for me. I usually did it on day 9. I peed on the OPK's about every 3 hours or so during the day. I thought I had missed it, guess not cause I have a 1 year old. Ny doc did back to back IUI's one at 1 pm (I had my surge at 8 am or so), and the next morning at 10 am. Lo and behold it took.