Options

Questions about IUI

So, I went and saw my doctor in Jan. concerning IUI. I told him that I wanted to start trying to get pregnant with IUI in July. Now, I was all prepared that he would want to run test and probably do Ultrasounds prior to IUI to make sure nothing was wrong. But he doesn't! This concerns me, plus he never really asked me about my health history as far as OB goes, just asked if I had ever been pregnant or tried to get pregnant in the past. Now, he is suppose to be the best in the area I live, but it concerns me that he didn't want to run any test, this is a lot of money to and time.
Second, he asked me if my periods were regular on schedule every month and they have been. Up until this time. I am 18 days late from starting and no I am not pregnant. I called his office to tell him, and they said to wait and see if my periods would fix themselve.
Third, can people advise me on how many vials they bought to start out with?? I was going to go with 4, is that a good number. And how many tried with IUI did it take you to get pregnant.

Thank You in Advance

Comments

• Options
    I think there's a huge variety in how much testing different doctor's recommend when you are just starting out. I'm having IUI's done just at my regular OB-GYN and since I have no known problems and have regular cycles she does no testing to start. We talked about how many attempts we want to do before adding additional testing and such. We settled on doing three attempts before considering any medications to stimulate the ovaries or trigger shots. We felt that 3 attempts was reasonable, even given the cost, due to the additional expenses associated with all of the extra testing and monitoring. But everyone is different. If you don't want to leave anything up to chance - you should just explain your concerns to your doctor regarding costs. Take their opinions into consideration but at the end of the day it should be your decision!

We purchased 5 vials since it gets you a year of free storage. The number needed to achieve pregnancy is so varied by person and situation that it's virtually impossible to predict. The free storage was worth it to us to buy more up front and then if we get lucky on the 1st or 2nd round we will have some stored up for our second child.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
  • Options
    We are going to a very thorough fertility clinic that ran tons of tests before we even started. Every doctor is different and they have different recommendations. During our cycle we generally ultrasound at Day 11 to see where our follicles are so we know when to inseminate. We did not pick up on the OPK so that is why they want us to do the ultrasounds but it is costly. It is a test not covered by our insurance. We then use a trigger shot to force ovulation and then inseminate. We also decided on three natural cycles before becoming more aggressive with medications. Our clinic actually prefers to do three natural cycles first. We did one insemination with the first try and two inseminations per cycle for the second two. We are currently in the TWW with our third attempt. We test Monday. Initially we bought 4 vials of sperm but have used 5 in our three tries. For everyone it is different how many vials it will take. Our donor has lots of vials, but if you are using a more popular donor you may want to consider extra vials as sometimes they run out. We aren't married to our donor so if we have to switch down the road that is okay with us. I hope this helps. Good luck. Let us know when you are in the TWW period for support. Way to be on top of things for a July insemination. I would definitely get a phone app to track all ovulation type stuff. The more info you have when it comes that time it will be helpful to get the timing right.