Options

Still Learning, Questions! Exciting..

Still trying to do research how this work. Every time I do a little new research I get more and more excited to start the process. Waiting to get a AI and other papers from my Family Doctor before starting this, I haven't brought it up to him yet I'm a little apprehensive about what he might say to me when I bring him the papers.. Also looking for a OBGYN in my area that could do the IUI I'm unsure if my doctor does.

Now when you get the donation is it shipped to you? Or can you get it shipped to the doctor. I find this all confusing and I'm a little embarrassed how to explain it to people. I don't know how to explain it to doctors besides, "Hi I ordered sperm and I want to get it injected thank you" I'm so confused! This is the main thing that's holding me back.

Financial situation still figuring it out but I have a good idea where I will start. Have good insurance and will be able to get on another Insurance Plan if I become pregnant. Family is very supportive with my decision to become a single mother by choice, very grateful!

Comments

• Options
    Hi Meadows317.
    I brought it up with the midwife I see for my annual gyn appointments. I believe my exact question was "Do I have to go somewhere special for this or will you be able to stick it in me?" :)

She referred me to a reproductive doctor and they've just ordered a whole lot of tests, and then (hopefully) I'll be good to go.

Don't be embarassed. It's your choice to be a mom - why should you have to wait for some man to come along? Read through a lot of the posts on this single mom's board - it's really inspiring and exciting to know you're NOT in this alone!

Good luck!
    Abby
  • Options
    Hi Meadows - Welcome! This discussion board is such a great resource for information as well as support. The single women section is great to check in with.

I am using a fertility clinic that my gyn referred me to. I had the sperm sent to their office.

What I found and still do sometimes is the new acronyms and new vocabulary you'll be learning. I keep saying after all this, I will have an honorary medical degree. LOL

It's an exciting process, but there can be some bumps along the way.

Good luck to you!

Susan
  • Options
    I don't understand any of the acronyms! Maybe a few.. lol I'll try to learn its really like a new language.

This does make me feel like I am not alone just by reading several posts. It all sounds so nerve wracking yet with a great end result...

Someone asked me today about how much money it would cost, I told them and they opened up their mouth. Just replied back "WELL. Think of all the money I'll save on trying to impress a man and money I usually spend on dates" lol.
  • Options
    Hello Meadows!

I have my 'stuff' shipped to the doctor's office. They have storage tanks there to put the samples in once it arrives. My doctor tells me to call ahead of the time when my samples are supposed to arrive, so they know to expect them. I just say, "I ordered on this date and they told me it should arrive by this date." They say "OK, we'll be expecting it now, Thank you."

ICI "Inter-cervical Injection" is what I usually order, and the doctor makes it into a IUI "Inter-uterine Injection" in his office, and hoping that when I have the next one, AF (Aunt Flow) doesn't arrive.

Hope this helps! :)
  • Options
    That does help thank you!
  • Options
    Hey Meadows,

Welcome. This board is great and you will learn so much. Plus we are all here, for eacho other. Whether it is for questions, sympathy or just reassurance. We all understand what you are going through.

M

Oh and I think there is a post will all the abbreviations on it. Search for it, is sure helped me learn the lingo!!