Options

I think my brain has melted on this one

Hi everyone...I have a rather stupid question, the answer is probably very obvious, but with that said here goes.... What exactly is a RE? I keep seeing that in all these posts and I wasn't sure if I should be looking for a diff doc than just a regular ob-qyn?? I feel like a numbnut...but all of this talk is very foreign to me. All I know is I want to me a mom so bad I might explode. Any help or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    Hi busydreamin....

Re is Reproductive Endocrinologist. Here is a link below for the commonly used accronyms....Don't feel bad at all...I was totally lost till I found the code :)LOL

Many people have recommended to me to go straight to the RE (if your insurance doesn't require a referral[mine didn't]) I am just starting out with my first RE appt. in a few days.

Blessings & Baby Dust!!! (*.*)

http://www.ivfconnections.com/acronyms.htm
  • Options
    Never hesitate to ask. There are no silly questions. No matter what it is, there are probably dozens of others wondering the exact same thing.

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    As far as I can tell, there are three reason to go to an RE as opposed to an OB/GYN. First, if you are mid thirties or older, you might start with an RE because the can be more agressing and will spot trouble signs faster. Second, if you have known or suspected fertility problems or reproductive health problems of any kind, an RE is your best best. Third, in some parts of the counrty it is harder to find an OB/GYN who is willing to do insemination proceedures such as IUI. This is more likely to be a problem if you are unmarried and live in a rural/interior part of the country. If none of these issues applies to you, an OB/GYN or even a midwife can often assist with IUIs as well as anyone.