Options

About to make my appointment....

Hi ladies!

I'm a 28yr old (soon-to-be 29) single woman. I have been toying with the idea of going the route of becoming a single mother for quite some time and I recently decided that it's time. I'm tired of waiting around for Mr. Right and I'm not willing to risk never having children just because I didn't have a man. So, here I am. I'm excited and nervous and everything inbetween.

What I wanted to ask everyone here, how did you go about talking to your doctor about your choice? When you make your appointment did you ask for just a routine check up or do you tell them it's to discuss possible insemination? What questions should I be sure to ask?

Any help/advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Jaime

Comments

• Options
    Hi,

I turned 41 this past April. I originally spoke with my gyno last January and discussed the possibility with her - she did a hormone profile, everything seemed OK. She then suggested I go to a fertility clinic (RMA, here in NYC). I met with a great doctor there who did additional testing (sonogram) and we discussed my options. I know what you mean about waiting for Mr. Right, but once I got all of the info, it took me another few months to make a decision and think about the ramifications (financial, childcare, guardians, etc). Plus, I think it's important to actually speak to other women in your situation, on the phone or in person.