Options

Poor sample

I had my first ever IUI today and was so upset when the doctor broke the news to me that the sample had low count (approx 3 million) and low motility. I would assume there is some sort of quality control? Why would this sample even make out for distribution. My doctor assured me if no pregnancy then there is a chance of a refund, but I don't get refunded for all of the other care I spent money on this cycle. Only to do it again next month if this does not work? I am trying to stay positive but with all of the hurdles that we face in this process, this should be a sure thing!

Comments

• Options
    Hi C -

I'm sorry to hear that you're disappointed after your insemination.

Yes, we do have very tight quality control measures in place. We use calibrated instruments and every single donation is evaluated for quality. The specimen that you were sent exceeded our vial quality standards.

There are many factors involved when thawing and evaluating sperm. The type of counting chamber used, thawing time, temperature, and warming the counting chamber are just a few examples that can impact the final outcome of the thawed specimen. If a specimen is under-thawed, it will appear to have a lower count/motility, but sperm thrive at body temperature and will continue to thaw once inside the body.

Please have your physician or lab complete the Specimen Report form so we can look into this further. You can download the form in My Account on the Forms page: https://cryobank.com/Account/Forms/

In the meantime, please try to stay positive. Recent studies have shown that there are no significant differences in pregnancy success when 2 million motile sperm (donor sperm) are used for IUIs when compared to higher quantities of donor sperm.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB