Options

1st IUI

We are going to be trying out first IUI attempt on July 5th. I am so excited and ready but then I am really nervous too. Does anyone have any tips on anything to do before my first IUI to help increase the chances?

Comments

• Options
    Have you researched about taking Mucinex, baby aspirin, eating berries, increasing your calcium, etc?

There are many ways to increase fertility chances...some may be factual and some may not...but I done all of the above and we got our BFP on our first IUI.

Good luck and KUP!
  • Options
    I had my first IUI today. Prior to the procedure I informed my doctor I have a bloating feeling and gas. He assured me it's just my great response from the clomid and the 3 mature eggs I hv. Im home now and I now I have some cramping. Is this normal?
  • Options
    KEN...yes, dear...the cramping is normal...it's more than likely from aggravating your cervix. I had pretty severe cramping for 2 whole days. It actually kept me on the couch those whole two days.

Congratulations on your first IUI...prayers and baby dust to you!
  • Options
    Congrats, KEN. I'll have my first IUI next week, so here's hoping for both of us!

By the way, I've been taking Clomid too, but I haven't experienced any side effects, except, possibly, hot flashes. Fun little preview of menopause ;-)

--CSS
  • Options
    Well I had the 1st IUI done on August 1st this wait is killing me. Every little thing makes me think I am pregnant. I have been having slight cramping since the procedure was done. My stomach just feels weird. It's prolly all in my head but I sure hope it's a good sign.
  • Options
    This isn't my first IUI but I did start my tww today. KEN, like MistyandCarla said, cramping is normal. If I could stay on the couch, I would be there, but sitting at my desk is rather uneventful so it is bearable. I notice it the most when I stand up and when I have to pee.

Good luck to all of you, KEN, CSS, and Rbomar1212!!

MistyandCarla, I love that you keep up with the boards! Thanks for all of your encouragement and also all of your knowledge! :O)
  • Options
    Alysia...I just remember prior to us TTC, we lurked these boards and I would find posts that mentioned that someone got a BFP, but then it was like they stopped posting. I was curious to see where they were at that point on their journey and to see how things worked out for them. I think reading other peoples success stories makes it all seem more attainable. I just want to let people know that it is possible to get a BFP on the first try and when your what the doctors call Advanced Maternal Age. I also think that I may help someone TTC by being able to answer any questions that they have. I wish everyone of you could have the same success that we did.

Good luck in your TWW and KUP!
  • Options
    I'm glad you keep us updated on your journey. It does give hope that it will happen.

I tend to over-analyze things and it helps to see what other people's experiences have been and what they learned in the process. That way, I don't go crazy researching every little detail to the point where I'm probably just stressing about nothing!

I will detail my journey, if there is anything to report in these next 2 weeks, this will be the first place I'm reporting to (other than hubby, of course!).
  • Options
    Great, Alysia...we can't wait for the updates!
  • Options
    Thanks to all of you. MistyandCarla, Alysia is right I look forward to reading your responses to darn near everyone! My name is actually Karla. My cramping is over and it lasted for 2 days. Going to the bathroom almost brought me to tears later that day but I suppose it's nothing compared to Labor.. I am filled with elation that this could be it and then I calm down because I dont want to be devestated if it's not. I'm optimistic and I want all the baby dust and prayers I can get and give to the next person.

CSS- The clomid side affects for me was spotted vision if bright lights were flashed or sun directly in my eye. The flashes got worse as I got closer to ovulating. Good luck next week and keep me/us posted.

I need a quick course on the abbreviations when someone has a minute; most of them I could figure out. LOL

Thanks
  • Options
    KEN...Mine lasted two days too...so, you're a about 4 days into this now...keep listening to your body...I remember symptoms like sore boobs and severe hunger starting about 6-7 dpiui. Then a few days after that my nipples (sorry TMI) began to change color and shape and I began noticing dark blue veins running through them. Weird, I know, but they are pregnancy signs.

Hang in there and KUP on any and all symptoms you have! :)
  • Options
    KEN---About abbreviations, I started a thread on this same board category called "Fertility Acronyms," which explains a few of them. It's a whole new language!

Sorry to hear that your post-IUI cramping was so bad. I too try to maintain perspective about pain and discomfort in this process by comparing it to what I've heard about going into Labor.

Speaking of discomfort, yesterday I went in for the 2nd in a series of 3-4 ultrasounds in the "Clomid leadup to an IUI" process and it was long and very uncomfortable. Apparently, my left ovary likes to hide out, which means the doctor has to poke around in there for ages and it ain't much fun. Then she had trouble taking my blood (happens to me a lot) and had to try two spots, so I left feeling poked, prodded, and a bit depressed. I guess the reality of the situation hit home. Plus, my follicle growth has been slow (varies depending on the individual), so I have to come in for another ultrasound next week and then they may trigger me, depending on the results.

But hearing other womens' stories here on the board gives me comfort. If you guys can do it, then so can I.

--CSS
  • Options
    CSS- I did 2 cycles on clomid and it was rather uncomfortable, but nothing like the injection cycles. I've had 4 of those so far. For the injection cycle, they do bloodwork and ultrasounds about every 2 days to monitor hormone levels and follicle growth, not to mention the daily shots that I get (compliments of DH)... Talk about feeling poked and prodded! Doesn't leave much desire for romance when at home! LOL

Ok, so maybe I'm over analyzing everything, and I need someone to please tell me I'm grasping at straws... Today is 2dpIUI (had mine on Wed morning at 9)... last night I got up to pee 4 times. I did not have any more liquids than usual leading up to bedtime. And I think I've made at least 4 trips this morning (it's 2p my time). It kinda feels like a bladder infection, without the pain... you know, the constant feeling of needing to go? There is no possible way that if I were preggers that I'd have symptoms this early... right? Nothing else is out of the ordinary, btw.

Someone please tell me I'm crazy!
  • Options
    Alysia...my symptoms started about 6-7 dpiui...so I really don't know if it's a pregnancy sign or not...everyone is different. Have you been to twoweekwait.com? They have a TWW Symptoms board there...check it out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks, Alysia. That certainly adds some perspective! I feel for you and I hope what you're experiencing turns out to be a BFP.

--CSS
  • Options
    Ok, so I think the constant need for a bathroom the other day was just a fluke. It only lasted that day. I am just over-analyzing everything because I am just hoping that this is the one. I know I need to just chill but it's so difficult!! So I will continue to sit here with fingers crossed...

Alysia
  • Options
    Hello ladies! I have been wondering where all the TWWers were posting!

First of all, good luck to all of you!

I am currently 13dpIUI on our 3rd try. I will finally be testing tomorrow...I am filled with excitement, hope, and at the same time complete dread that it will be neg. Just thought I'd get it out! Today has been sooo hard not to test, even though I know I should use first morning urine. I was out of town camping for the last 5 days which helped, but I got home yesterday and have been obsessed with POAS since! LOL!

Again, good luck everyone and I am sending lots of baby dust!!!
  • Options
    jesselynn- good luck tomorrow morning!! I had my first IUI last month and am trying again Thursday. I'm so proud of you for waiting the 14 days- I actually tested on day 7 (dpiui) out of sheer craziness!! I couldn't take the suspense and I just needed to do it in spite of the fact I knew it was way too early!! That darn test gave me a "?" - haha!! I was so peeved! But I deserved it I guess...

It's interesting how we each obsess (in our own ways) over all of this yet battle ourselves so we won't - but it's inevitable I think...

This time I am going to stay the course and not test early - or 3 times for that matter!! lol

Best wishes and KUP!!

Also - I'm stoked to hear there is an abbrv. cheat sheet on here - I am struggling to figure them all out!! lol
  • Options
    Jess...so today is the day! Yea! I'm sending you lots of baby vibes and crossing my fingers and toes for you. Good luck, dear!
  • Options
    Well crap...another BFN. The worst part is that now I have to sit around and wait for AF before we can do anything. We may be sitting this next cycle out to regroup and catch up financially.

I had a really bad time with Clomid, this was my first medicated cycle. The mood swings were sooo bad that I really don't know if I could do that again. So, now we wait. More waiting...grrr.

Good luck ladies! I will keep checking to see how you're doing...
  • Options
    jesse...I'm so sorry dear. My heart goes out to you and yours.
  • Options
    I'm so glad you ladies are out there...

I have been a complete nut for the last couple of days due to the fact that I am 12dpIUI and can hardly stand it.

Endo Mama: thanks for your note on your experience - I've been the same way! And I hope everything went alright.

Best of luck to everyone!
  • Options
    TL1417- I going crazy with ya! I am 11dpIUI today and I am trying not to test until at least 14dpIUI. We'll see how that goes! Best of luck to you!

So, where is everyone else at these days?