Options

Colorado Second Parent Adoptions

Does anyone know if it's necessary to have my wife adopt our child? I'm currently 5 months pregnant via IVF. We're married, the donor is a CA cyrobank donor, and she and I will both be named on the birth certificate.

I've been reading a lot that we should maybe still do a 2nd parent adoption, but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with that. Has anyone gone through this? Specifically in Colorado? And, if so, can you do it before the baby is born?

Thanks!
Al

Comments

• Options

Hi! I’m also in Colorado. You should be totally fine in here, but it is advised to seek counsel because other states and countries do not always honor same sex marriage. I’m not sure what your options are, but I know 2nd parent adoption is an option.

• Options

Thanks so much @Kitties123! I just emailed an inquiry to a lawyer today and he said that same thing. Now we're trying to find out what all goes into a 2nd parent adoption (time, money, process, etc.) because it seems like we may still want to go through with it just to cover all our bases.

Again, thanks for the response!

• Options

Of course—sorry I don’t more about the actual process! Would definitely love to learn more from you and others :).

• Options

So far, I've found the CO LGBTQ Family Law Guide made by One-Colorado and Family Equality (https://www.familyequality.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/06/CO-LGBTQ-Family-Law-Guide-WEB.pdf) to be the most helpful. In addition to second-parent adoptions, it mentions "Declarations of Paternity/Maternity" and I'm wondering if that is an easier, cheaper route.

Unfortunately, the more I talk to the 2 law firms and 1 adoption agency that I've reached out to thus far, the more I realize that none of them have first hand experience with a case like this. I've just reached out to FamilyEquality.org to see if they can connect me with CO-based, LGBTQ+ specializing lawyers. I'm really hoping to work with someone who doesn't make me feel like our situation is so unusual; I mean LGBTQ+ couples build families all the time now - just wish our local lawyers would get with the times!