Options

Sperm Counts

I'm just curious to hear what the sperm counts have been for IUI specimens.

Our first:
85 million, 39% rapid, 5% slow, 16% twitching, 40% mmotile. Total Motile 60%

Second:
70 million, 30% rapid, 11% slow, 15% twitching, 44% mmotile. Total Motile 56%

Third:
44 million, 31% rapid, 32% slow, 8% twitching, 29% mmotile. Total Motile 71%.

Sample one and two were donated on the same day according to or vial. Sample 3 was donated 6 months later.

We were just really curious what other donors were producing?????

Comments

• Options
    Wow... all of those sound high to me. So far I've only purchase two vials (hoping the second one worked, TWW is killer) and they were ICI vials. The place I go to washes them prior to the IUI and since you wouldn't want to wash them twice, it just made sense. After washing, the last vial I had was 17.5 million and the first one was 8.4. The doctor didn't seem disappointed with either, especially the 17.5.
  • Options
    Well ICI and IUI are very different and come with different counts. I don't know much about ICI but it almost seems like ICI should have a higher count than IUI.
  • Options
    And if you don't mind me asking, why are you doing IUI's with ICI vials?

According to Cryobank:

Premium vials Motile Sperm/Vial (after thawing)*
    •Intracervical Insemination (ICI)
    •A minimum of 15 million
    •Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
    •A minimum of 10 million

A.R.T. Vials Motile Sperm/Vial (after thawing)*
    •Intracervical Insemination (ICI)
    •8 - 14 million
    •Intrauterine Insemination (IUI)
    •5 - 9 million

So I would be very concerned, in fact trying to get my money back if my counts were less than 15 million with an ICI sample. It should be minimum 15 million.
  • Options
    If her doctor washes the vials no matter what ICI definitely makes more sense because if the IUI vials are rewashed they aren't available for a refund if you counts are low.
  • Options
    surely a clinic wouldn't double was a specimen would they? Our's doesn't rewash, they just thaw.
  • Options
    I buy the ICI (if it's available in my donor I've selected) because it's less expensive and the lab will thaw and wash it before the procedure (similar to what they do at CCB to make it an IUI sample). Since I'm already paying them to wash it, I may as well get ICI and save $100 up front. And those counts the (8.4 and 17.5) were post thaw and post wash).
  • Options
    Tommie-a lot of them actually do. I specifically had to ask mine not to rewash. I am not sure why they ask for IUI and then want to rewash it makes no sense at all!
  • Options
    Interesting...we need to double check on that with our clinic...however either way our donor has good numbers.