Options

At Home Insemination

My wife and I are considering the option to inseminate at home..It seems like we just cant get the money saved to use a clinic for the procedure. Are there any websites or books or anything that can help us with timing..it scares me to death about doing it at the right time. I am taking birth control to regulate my cycle and the doc we talked to wanted us to take Clomid..SOOOO I'm a little confused about the whold process of doing it ourselves...but I know that it can be done..Plz help me out if you can or if you have the time...Lots of baby dust ladies...Hope to hear from you soon.....Thanks again. Oh and Does CCB let you buy vials for use at home? Without a dr signing off on them.

Comments

• Options
    I know how that feels ;) My wife and I wonder the same thing (we're getting ready to try for the first time during next ovulation) What I've derived from the hundreds of internet searches is that nothing can show the EXACT time the egg is released other than perhaps an ovulation sonogram. Which we found out is fairly pricey. Testing and charting can show only the Lh surge which gives you an approximate time. We agree that timing is the key to success so we've decided the best we can do is buy 2 vials and try during an Lh surge using each vial 12 hrs apart. Also we just asked our regular OB to sign the form even though he has nothing to do really with our at home insemination. Glad to know we're not alone in all the confusion... I hope this helps. GOOD LUCK!
  • Options
    Hi Everyone -

While at-home insemination can and does work, in general it offers a significantly lower rate of success.

Doing an IUI insemination in a doctor's office not only helps with the timing, but it gets the sperm much closer to the egg.

Most importantly, if there are other issues preventing the pregnancy from occuring, an RE will be able to help you consider your options.

In the long run, it can end up costing you more in drugs, sperm and shipping trying at home. I would highly recommend at least meeting with an RE to discuss cost and treatment options before moving ahead on your own.

Good luck,

Scott
    CCB