Bad vial #14960

FYI I had my IUI yesterday and didn’t see the semen analysis until after the fact. It was poor quality and I hope all of you using donor sperm ask your RE or the person doing your IUI prior to insemination so you are making an INFORMED decision about the product about to enter your body. When it arrived it said 100million/ml with 50%motility. That looks great but when thawed The total active sperm was only 9.68million with an activity of only 2-3 and the motility was not 50%. I hope no one else has had to deal with this type of stress during what should be a happy, exciting time.

Comments

• @Faith4Baby I'm sorry to hear that you had a stressful insemination.

9.68 million motile sperm is actually more than you need for an IUI. We expect our IUI vials to have a range of 7-13 million motile sperm after thawing. Numerous studies find that pregnancy rates are maximized with 5 million motile sperm and more recent studies suggest that outcomes are maximized with much less donor sperm. The chance of a successful pregnancy via IUI does not increase with more sperm.

Here's more information on our vial standards and how much sperm is needed to achieve pregnancy: https://www.cryobank.com/how-it-works/specimen-processing/specimen-information/

Regards,

Nicole
    California Cryobank

• Losing over 3/4 of the sperm during a deep freeze is normal??? Somehow I don’t think so. It’s being investigated by CCB since the activity level and progression were sub par as well. It doesn’t matter how much sperm you have if it’s not going anywhere. Thanks for trying.

• @Faith4Baby

Just to clarify, the concentration and motility that is provided on our packing slip is after thawing. If our post-thaw numbers were 100 million/mL with 50% motility for an IUI vial, the total motile sperm count would be 25 million since our IUI vials are .5mL. Sperm is expected to be lost during the thawing process and more sperm will be lost if the specimen is washed. Also, if a different thawing method was used, that can result in numbers different from our post-thaw numbers.

We take specimen quality very seriously and have stringent quality controls in place. Our goal is to help you become pregnant. We do investigate all substandard claims we receive. Our Client Relations manager will be in touch with you once your specimen report is reviewed.

I wish you the best of luck during your TWW.

Regards,

Nicole
    California Cryobank

• Not only did the semen analysis not look stellar but the person doing my IUI destroyed my entire experience. Right now, I really hope I’m not pregnant so that I don’t have to make a decision to terminate in 12 weeks due to chromosomal abnormalities. This is not a happy time and a very sensitive issue.

• Half of 100million/ml is 50million in 0.5ml, not 25 million.

• @Faith4Baby I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. We do provide free genetic consultations, just in case you would like to speak with a genetics counselor. The direct phone number is: 1-877-743-6384.

And just to clarify, for anyone following this thread, the calculation is 100 million/mL x 50% motility x .5mL = 25 million motile sperm.

Regards,

Nicole
    California Cryobank

• And my total mobile sperm count was 9.68 with poor activity and progression. Again, it doesn’t matter how many they put in your uterus if they don’t go anywhere. No, I don’t trust CCB to be honest about anything at this point.

• I would rather have 1 million sperm that were fantastic and could get to an egg than 9.68 million that are a waste cuz they don’t go anywhere.

• Hey there @Faith4Baby curious how this all was resolved? Currently on my second IUI with this donor. Appreciate your feedback. Thanks!