Options

First IUI and so anxious!

I had my first IUI last week. I'm 8 days into the tww and have already taken tests. Of course all negative. I know it's way too early to test but I'm almost trying to desensitize myself to the negative result. I'm feeling pretty doom and gloom over the chances that I could be pregnant on the first try, so not sure if testing is helping or hurting. I haven't really had any spectacular symptoms--mostly just PMS type stuff. I didn't take any meds for the first try, as my Dr. didn't think I needed any, so I wouldn't show a false positive if I test too early. When did you all test? How did you get through your first TWW?

Comments

• Options

We did a blood test at the doctors at 13 dpiui. In the first few days-week after an IUI nothing has really happened yet, the sperm is making its way to the egg, then has to break through, then the fertilized egg needs to move to your uterus, then implant, and then FINALLY trigger a hormone change, which will eventually produce enough of the hCg hormone to actually show in your urine. This is why they suggest waiting the 14 days to test, there's a lot that needs to happen before a test can register positive. You should also only test once a day once you reach 13/14 days. Being so early on in your pregnancy, there would be very minimal hCg hormone in your urine. You'll want to test the first time you pee for the day, since any detectable hCg would be present then, and possibly not once you get later in the day.

My wife's first IUI was medicated and we did get a positive on the first shot, so it's definitely possible. As silly as it sound, we attribute a lot of the success to the fact that we remained positive throughout the two weeks, I would suggest not trying to talk yourself down, but instead be excited and be prepared.

Best of luck and keep us all updated!

-OA

• Options

Thank you for your help and congratulations on your success :smile: Unfortunately, our first try did not work. We're going to move on with the second next month! Fingers crossed it'll do the trick. We're still not sure on whether or not we want to keep doing unmedicated. How did you decide?

Thanks!!!

• Options

Don’t lose hope!! My second IUI this month worked!!! I stayed positive but didn’t think too much into everything this time. For my first, I was constantly researching everything about the TWW and every little feeling etc and it just led me up to disappointment.
    Please let us all know how number 2 goes!!

• Options

Looking for siblings 14098!!!!

• Options

@Mommas4Baby Congratulations!!! That's so exciting! And yes, I did the exact same thing during my first TWW. I think it made me stress even more, so I hope my next cycle will be more relaxed like yours. Did you decide to use medications or do unmedicated cycles?

• Options

I was on Clomid and Ovidrel for both.

• Options

@BabyG920 I have twin boys from Donor 14098 born 12/15/16.

• Options

@Mommas4Baby Wanted to update you--second unmedicated IUI worked! I'm now 20 weeks along, so far, so good! Thanks for all your advice!

• Options

@FLwannabemom that’s great! Mine ended up being ectopic so I am actually trying again this upcoming cycle. 20 weeks! How exciting!!! Good luck!!!!

• Options

@Mommas4Baby I'm so sorry to hear that! Best of luck on your next try!!!

• Options

@FLwannabemom thank you so much!!!!