Options

Pregnancy without sex

Single mom at 42Single mom at 42 Posts: 2
edited August 18, 2018 9:22PM in Single Mothers by Choice

Hi there,

I am 42, single and starting IUI process in a few weeks. I was in a relationship for over three years and we tried getting pregnant without success. The relationship ended last year, and since I always wanted to be a mom, decided to do it on my own. I am a little scared, but mostly excited. I bought 3 vials from 3 different donors, as for some reason I think I rather give a shot to three different type of "swimmers". I'll try first with the one I like the least, so that way if it does not result in pregnancy, I won't be too disappointed; and if it works, of course I would be thrilled! Anyways, call me crazy, but I am going to take all this process as an enjoyable experience.

One of my concerns about having a baby without a partner is going through pregnancy without sex. I much rather would have a partner, because I think and believe having sex during pregnancy (unless contraindicated by your doctor) is very good both for the baby and for the mom (particularly the relaxing effect and the hormones producing sex desire). But at 42 can't wait any longer for a partner to accomplish motherhood via pregnancy (I would consider adopting).

Is anyone here pregnant and single that can share her experience of pregnancy without intercourse? Does the libido gets pretty high during pregnancy? I have always enjoyed sex and worry about what will my "needs" be during pregnancy and how to deal with them.

Comments

• Options

Why try IUI before IVF. Just curious bc I am about to embark on same journey and decision making. I am 39

• Options

@RGsingle Hi! Well, my RE doctor suggested to do IUI, since I am using donor sperm. He usually suggest IVF for couples where the husband sperm is low motility. Although I am 42, he thinks is best to try IUI first, as it is less expensive and we can try more times (for less amount of money). I suppose my medical record was also taken in consideration, but my hormone levels on the blood tests were not that great. However... the doctor I go is pretty good, so I trust his decision. And... I am pretty confident it's going to work.

I have two good friends (both married) who went through IVF treatment with my doctor and have healthy babies now. Their cases were different, but both went through multiple IVF tries (3-4). It can get pretty expensive. They did not try IUI, so we can't tell if they would have get pregnant with same number of tries via IUI. But again, the difference is that with donor sperm you optimize the male factor. So IUI vs IVF? Go to a good doctor, and follow his/her recommendation. For for me, IUI is the way to go. One way or another, I know I will be a mother. But for pregnancy, this is my chance. Good luck and follow your heart!

• Options

Thank you so much for your advice. I have a good doctor just heard IUI is not always effective but yes cheaper to try first. Plus my ins wont cover ivf until I try IUI 6 times. I bought the sperm on here so hope it will work when I try. Good luck to you and let me know how first IUI goes.

• Options

Single & 42 here and am currently 9 weeks pregnant through IVF with donor sperm. I had to go through 6 IUI cycles before insurance would kick in to cover infertility treatments and had no success. But all 6 were worth it to get me here (fortunately I have very good coverage now).

• Options

wow there is insurance that will cover IVF? can you tell me about it. I'm going to try IUI in a few months. My doctor told me that this is the lowest price option and we will do this first.

• Options

@BabyBee2019 what insurance did you us for ivf?

• Options

Just a note. I tried IUI and became pregnant on the first try with a healthy and successful deliver. 37 years old. So it is possible!! Stay positive

• Options

Total cost was about 5,000 with donor and procedure. No insurance

• Options

LRain I am so excited for you. I am about to try my first iui. Really hoping for success on first try. I'm 38. A little scared as both my friends are now doing IVF due to iui failures.