Options

New to IVF

My quick background...Just turned 36 and have been thru 7 failed IUIs over the past year. Did first few with just clomid, then moved on to the hybrid cycle and added back to back IUIs for good measure. Tubes are clear, everything checks out ok, no health issues. Beyond frustrated, moving on to IVF.

Haven't sat down with the nurses yet for my scheduled plan of attack, but we're trying to use my next cycle for my first IVF, which is coming up very soon. I'm wondering if any of you out there can help me on what to expect? Just polling the public really...

How many IVF cycles did it take for your BFP?
How many follicles did you have after stimulation?
How many of those follicles had viable eggs?
How many fertilized?
Did they use a 'grading system' on the fertilized embryos?
Did they mix better embryos with weaker ones? Or only transferred the best ones?
Can you freeze 5 day blastocysts that are more developed? Or only use those fresh?
My RE says the injection IUs are typically doubled for an IVF cycle. What are your experiences with high dose injections?
Anyone use assisted hatching?

Anything else that might be a tip for me that I haven't thought of?

THANK YOU! :)

Comments

• Options
    Hello MGALBN
    My name is Kelly and I did IVF 19 months ago. I am going to try and answere your questions as best as I can. I too had several failed IUI's 8 to be exact I was 31 at the time. No health problems or explanations. I go my BFP on our first try with IVF. I had 16 follicles and 14 fertilized. They did use a grading system and they put the two best ones in during my procedue. I however did not have any embryos that would have made it through the freezing process. I was very hormonal during this process, but I did ok. You will start to feel the pressure build up as the eggs start to grow because you are not meant to mass produce, but you will do fine. I did a lot of research on fertility clinics and found one that offered a shared risk program which took a lot of pressure off of myself which is why I think it took the first time. We had two more chances if it did not take. I now have a handsome 18 month old boy who is the light of my life and he was totally worth everybit that we went through. I am now looking at baby number two, but not going to do IVF this time just an IUI. Good luck to you!! If you have anymore questions please don't hesitate to ask!!
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your reply Kelly and congrats on your baby boy!

NONE of your embryos were able to be frozen? Out of the 12 left??? Wow. I wondered if they'd mix the good with the average or just go with the best. I've been pretty hormonal over the past YEAR so that's nothing new. LOL I remember feeling slightly bloated with the injections, so I'm sure with higher doses that part will be worse. I cry at the drop of a hat even with just clomid so look out world! :)
  • Options
    I've got a 'package' group to choose from but they are way out of my reach price wise.... they can guarantee baby or your money back.
  • Options
    MGALBN, sorry that so many tries didn't work. As I mentioned on the other place you posted that I haven't done IVF, not sure what you mean they can guarantee baby or you get your money back? Is that what you meant?

I am not sure where you live, but have you tried a different doc or clinic? But I would definitely try acupuncture. It helped keep me stress free. So you know I am a 42 year old woman who only did IUI, and got pregnant on my 2nd try. I just happened to have an acupuncture appt on the day that I was inseminated. My "IUI" doc said was that he inseminates 2 days in a row, the day of your surge and the day after. He says better odds of insemination. Something to think about. I only went to a clinic to have some tests and the place stressed me out more than just a regular doctor's office. So I switched to a regular doctor's office who is known for inseminating single woman or same sex couples. If you are in the New England area, I would be happy to recommend the office. Let me know. Good luck and I will be sending lots of baby dust your way.

Anissa
  • Options
    Hey MGALBN
    Nope none of my embryos were frozen. The hard part of that was that I received the news during my IVF cycle. The nurse was very quick to tell me that they used the best and they embryos were put in the most appropriate place so just because my others did not make it does not count me out of this cycle and she was right. I tried not to focus too much on that, so that I was not stressed out. All my research that I did prior said you wanted your best shot and putting the best in was standard practice because fresh is much better than frozen. Who knows if you look hard enough I bet you can find multiple asweres to that same question. HAHA Good luck and keep posting through your experience.
    Kelly
  • Options
    AnissaS, yes. You pay a high price (sometimes double or more)for like 6 IVF tries. If they don't work, you get your monies back. Its hard enough to pay for a regular IVF cycle for me and with my odds of success increase by so much by IVF, it was my best option anyway...

I've had most of the questions above answered by my RE's nurses. The unanswered questions left are the 'you have to wait and see' type. Looks like the pool of people using this bulletin board are IUI/ICI people. Just my observation from reading/posting for more than a year now. Not very many IVF'ers out there! :)
  • Options
    Hey MGALBN...It's Stacy. We got our chemicals the same month and communicated a little back then (not sure if you remember). It is crazy how we are still in the same boat. My chemical was the month of my 2nd IUI. I've had a total of 9 IUI since with a few being follistim rounds. I am beginning IVF in either May or June and just wanted to wish you the best of luck. I am struggling with the same questions. IVF is such a gamble with soo many variables. I really hope since we have had such struggles at the same time that we will spend our summer pregnant at the same time! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted. :-)
  • Options
    Hello MGALBN, my name is Lexi. My partner and I are doing IVF in July! We are very excited and nervous at the same time. We have a bunch of questions. Great to see others on this journey! Keep us posted!
    Do any of you have blogs?
    Lexi

http://ourbabymakinjourney.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    Hi Stacy, yes I remember our chemicals close to the same time... It just floors me that they haven't found anything wrong physically, or hormonally with me to indicate why it hasn't been successful yet. This 'unexplained' crap is for the birds!!!! I KNOW this will work, and it will work for you too!

Lexi, I don't have a blog unless you consider my '2nd time's the charm' post on here a blog since there's over 300 posts to it! LOL We're pretty private people so this is about as far as I'll go in that direction! :)

Since both of you are new to IVF and I just went thru it (haven't had replacement yet, I believe it will be tomorrow) I'd be more than happy to answer any questions you might have about what really goes down! I know everyone's got a different situation, but I can give you my perspective on it! ;) I had trouble finding IVF'ers to ask questions when I was looking... Almost everyone on here is doing the IUI/ICI thing.