Options

using CMV+ Donor for CMV- Mom... advice needed

Hi everyone! My wife and I are new here. We are hoping to use a filipino donor but they are all CMV+ and I have been tested as CMV-. Any women out there who are CMV- and used a CMV+ donor? Can you share your experienced? My doctor is being pretty strict with us selecting a negative donor. Any advice to share? Thanks!

Tagged:

Comments

• Options

Hey we were advised we were only able to use a cmv negative donor since I am negative myself. I don’t think it’s a good idea to expose the fetus to it if you are negative. Best of luck. I’m almost done my TWW with donor 15163

• Options

My doc did not seem concerned with this at all. We are also using a filipino donor who is positive and I'm negative. I've actually been told by 2 docs that it's okay. The probability of it having any effect is so low that it isn't worth the concern. You can always call another doctor and ask. Good luck!!!

• Options

Our doctor was not concerned either. My wife is CMV - and our donor is +. Our doctor said that the + and - refers to if they have antibodies, not if they are currently ill with the virus. It would only be problematic if they had the active virus at the time of donation, but if that was the case, that they wouldn't have been allowed to donate. We'll have our first IUI cycle in about two weeks. I've Googled my head off trying to find definitive information on if it matters and I can't find anything.

Best of luck!
    -OA

• Options

Thanks for all your replies! Our doctor was so adamant about having a CMV - donor and it convinced my wife that we had to go with one. The problem is that there are already so few Filipino donors and then most of them are CMV+... We really like our doctor so it’s hard to convince my wife that it’s safe if she says it isn’t... ugh! Good luck to you all! (Especially in the TWW!)