Options

What if a donor dies?

This is morbid, but what if an open/ID disclosure donor dies? Will his offspring ever be able to access information about him? I’d hate to tell my child that he/she will be able to contact the donor when they turn 18, and have my child be devastated to learn the donor died and they can never access any more information or learn who the donor was.

Comments

• Options

@BeaBea This is an excellent question.

Open Donors and ID Disclosure Donors are different. While ID Disclosure Donors agreed to have their identifying information released to offspring (at least 18 years of age), Open Donors have not agreed to this. Open Donors have agreed to a minimum of one communication with offspring (at least 18 years of age) which is facilitated by us. If an ID Disclosure Donor passes away, the offspring will still receive his standard contact info. Since Open Donors did not agree to have their identifying information released, no contact info would be released in the event of his death.

You can read more about our donor types and contact policy here:
    https://cryobank.com/how-it-works/donor-types/

Regards,

Nicole
    California Cryobank

• Options
    edited August 17, 2022 8:42PM

@BeaBea — So we recently discovered that our open ID Donor is actually deceased. To answer your question, we were not notified by CCB. We found out through ancestry DNA. After reporting the death to CCB, our donor sibling families were not notified either even though CCB was made aware. We notified all the donor sibs we could because it would be terrible for children to wait 18 years only to be told their donor is deceased.