Options

Any success with natural IUI?

I’m 35 and starting my journey to be a single mom by choice. I’ve elected to do a natural IUI cycle, but now I’m wondering if that’s the best call. I’ve just completely my first cycle with no success. Has anyone done a natural cycle and had success? How many cycles did you have to do?

Comments

• Options

I did three unmediated cycles with no success. In retrospect, it’s pretty clear that something is wrong with me because my follicles were always small (12-17 mm) at the point of ovulation. I wish the fertility clinic I’m using had competent professionals working there. So, now I’m on to Clomid and Ovidrel to help grow my follicles and time everything correctly. If your body is working perfectly, I think natural IUI can work just fine, it’s just that timing your insemination with spontaneous ovulation can be tricky.

• Options

Hang in there @lawgal. I am also 35. Our fertility doctor said there was only a 4% chance of getting pregnant due to low # of follicles. It was devastating news. My partner and I bought four vials expecting to wait out the time before our insurance covered IVF. I got pregnant on the third IUI. Was taking Clomid, eating pineapple and drinking lots of bone broth. Guess it was just my time. Pretty cool to embark on this adventure...I’m sure it will happen for ya.

• Options

I tried three cycles of natural and unmonitored IUIs with no success. I am now on my third medicated/monitored IUI. This is my last cycle before IVF because my insurance covers IVF after six IUIs. If I could go back and do it again, I would start right off the bat with medication (I'm doing Femara/Ovidrel/Progesterone) and monitoring. There is so much out of our control with this process, and the timing with frozen sperm needs to be so exact that I just feel like unmedicated might not ever have worked for me. That being said, I never had a "perfect" cycle on my own. My cycles are around 30 days, but I don't ovulate on my own until Day 20, so it's possible that was causing some issues, though no doctor has seemed concerned by this. Medication is the only thing that I felt has given me any sort of chance.

• Options

Thank you all for your feedback. I have my next natural IUI cycle in about a week. This is only my second cycle, but based on your comments, if it doesn’t work I will ask my doc to switch to a medicated cycle. My periods and ovulation are regular and my follicle count is high, but I think timing may be an issue. Hopefully I won’t have to go as far as IVF to make this dream a reality.