Options

Willing to known donor versus completely anonymous donor...which one is better?

which one is better? If there's no guarantee of offspring and child connecting, why then go with a Willing to be known donor?

Comments

• Options
    which one is better? If there's no guarantee of offspring and Donor connecting, why then go with a Willing to be known donor?
  • Options
    I can tell you why I am choosing an open donor because I can say to my child that I tried to choose someone who, at the time, was willing to have some contact. I think if you like two donors one open, one anonymous go with the open one. I am not planning on raising false hopes and telling my child I chose an open donor until they are 18. But I am certainly not going to put an additional roadblock by choosing an anonymous donor. I do not yet know how much this will matter to my child.
  • Options
    I am in the camp that believes this will matter. I have three kiddos by a donor and I work as a counselor. I am currently working with 3 kids that were donor conceived and they are all in a great deal of pain. Not all kids will be but you just never know. These kiddos are all from different families but they are all struggling with similar things. Being able to say you did your best is a noble thing. I wish I would have known many things before choosing my kids' donor as he was anonymous. I am married and did not think it would matter that much . people want to know their origins more often than not.