Options

Question about vial quality

After doing two IUI's, I just tried my first at-home insemination.

I was surprised to find that the vial wasn't full (had some trouble getting the sample out via the syringe I'd bought since it didn't rise to the top) and that the consistency was very watery, which also made it difficult to control.

I managed to inseminate what little there was, but it was a struggle and I'm hoping the process didn't destroy the goods.

I guess I'm just wondering if this is the normal quality of sperm samples?

Thanks,
CSS

Comments

• Options
    Hello! anybody out there?
  • Options
    Hi CSS -

Sorry for the delay. I was out of the office last week in New York visiting clinics and attending an event CCB co-sponsored with RMA of New York for same-sex couples.

Yes, everything you described is normal. The fluid mixed in with the sperm when ejaculated has been significantly reduced in the processing of the specimen, so most of what you have is only sperm and cryo-preservative.

Regular over-the-counter syringes are often too big. You can pour the specimen into a steril cup, but then you risk losing sperm in the transfer.

At home insemination is not an easy process. It is not a coincidence that your odds of success go up significantly when having a medical professional perform your insemination.

Keeping my fingers crossed,

Scott
    CCB
  • Options
    Thanks, Scott. And sorry for my impatience. Us trying-to-conceive women get rather obsessed at times, if you hadn't noticed :-)

Things didn't work out and I'm pretty sure the mishaps during the process were to blame. I don't think I'd ever attempt an at-home insemination again. Wish I'd known all this before spending almost $600, but lesson learned for next time.

--CSS
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, your experience is not unusual. At home insemination is not easy and I hope that others out there reading may give it a second thought based on your comments.

Best of luck going forward. I promise it will be much less stressful working with your physician.

Fingers crossed for next time,

Scott
    CCB