Options

How have you been able to financially afford this process?

f you are doing this alone(without a husband) how have you been able to afford this process financially? Cause all this process is quite expensive. Each vial is almost $500, plus doctor consultations, fertility meds, ultrasounds, blood tests, and others. How have you been able to handle it? Have you had to pawn off your things or borrow money from someone? take out a loan? or do you have a high paying job that makes it no problem?

Comments

• Options
    Well I am married, so I am not doing this alone, but this is still a significant financial challenge. We have managed to pay for the first two rounds (vial, shipment, IUI procedure) out of pocket. My 2nd IUI is going to be this weekend. If this round does not work (keep your fingers crossed that it will!) than we are going to look into the payment plan options. There is a link on the CBC website. It is very stressful. I wish you the best of luck.
  • Options
    Hi Pamela,

I'm not doing this alone, I have a partner, but we both make very moderate incomes (teacher and social worker). One thing that has helped us is I set up a flexible spending account at work. A small portion of the money is deducted from my check pre-tax and then I get a credit card with the entire balance to use for medical expenses not covered by insurance. It's like getting a 30% discount on everything. If this is an option for you I'd highly recommend it. That said, it is incredibly expensive and we are hoping and praying that it works sooner rather than later. We are giving up extras and cutting back but eventually we will end up in debt if it doesn't work within the next few tries. Good luck to you!

Jennifer
  • Options
    I am doing this alone. I do have the option for an FSA but never used it. So using the FSA you don't have to pay taxes on the money you put into it? I've been paying out of pocket for the things that insurance won't pay for or don't cover all of(inseminations,fertility meds,HSG). I basically had to cut back on a lot of my spending. I don't have the best job in the world, but it's okay. I work in a family practice center (patient accounts). I used the money from my income tax return to buy the last three vials, but the other five were purchased individually. The good thing is: I get a 10 % discount since I use an RE on our campus (OU Health Science Center). I have done 7 IUI's. I'm waiting until tomorrow to find out if I have missed my period this time. I wish you luck, but yes it is expensive.
  • Options
    HI everyone,

We have had 7 IUI (5 with hubby's & 2 with a donor). It is really expensive but every time I get down about the money my husband just says "Look we would spend that amount on a car so why wouldn't we it on a baby?". When I hold our baby in my arms everything (financial and emotional) that it took to get there won't matter.

We have tried tightened up our spending, eating out less, use any bonus or tax refunds we get. I think when you make it a priority and decide this is what you really want the financial part works itself out.

Good luck to everyone
  • Options
    smaciegracie:

Yes, the great thing about a FSA is that you don't pay taxes on the money. It's also helpful to have the full amount at your disposal from the beginning and then have a smaller amount deducted each month. Of course, after two IUIs I have nearly depleted mine. I should have opted to put more in but I didn't know if it would take one IUI or 6 or who knows. I'm also at the very end of my TWW so I'm really hoping. Good luck to you!! Hopefully we both won't have to spend any more money at the RE!
  • Options
    Today is the last day to enroll for FSA at my job, and I think I will. BTW I did get a BFP on Friday and also went to the doctor to have it confirmed(Lucky #7 and it was my birthday). Good Luck to everyone! I think it happens when you least expect because I had no hope for this cycle; felt like I was going to have the worst period ever!
  • Options
    congrats smaciegracie I am very excited for you I have also done 7 IUI (2 w/ a donor) so I know how excited you must be. Congrats again
  • Options
    Yay smaciegracie!! I got a BFP on Saturday!! Funny, it was my birthday a week after the IUI, and I kept saying a BFP was all I wanted. Congrats to you!!
  • Options
    Thank you ladies for your answers. This financial process is so stressful, its more stressful than the search for picking out the "perfect" donor. I live outside the U.S so just the shipping and handling fee would cost me $700 :S Unfortunately I guess I'll wait a little more when my fincances are more favorable. Good luck to everyone, wishing you lots of baby dust.
  • Options
    Pamela, if at all possible, don't put it off. Find a way. I could totally afford it now...but I may have waited too late, to have a biological child, anyway.
  • Options
    Thanks BabyJazz for the encouragement. I think that if I wait more time I could save up and afford it better, but I dont wanna waste more time waiting. I'm in my 20's but I feel like right now is when I should be doing this, I already have an almost 7 yr old daughter and since a long time ago have been dying to have another, but right now its lil hard, but I dont loose hope. BTW-You shouldnt give up either!
  • Options
    I've been lucky so far... the only things that I've had to pay for have been the vials and a few medications... everything else (thank you Blue Cross Blue Shield HMO Illinois!!) has been covered including the surgery I had to have to open a blocked tube. Even IVF is covered.
  • Options
    smaciegracie are you in Oklahoma if so which doctor did you use from the ou med. center