Options

Anyone ever carried out an IUI at home?

Most of the people on here who do IUI appear to do it in the doctor's office and many seem to be medicated. This is my first time using the cryobank and my wife is a doctor (although not an obgyn) The donor we want to use is IUI only but I would really like to try at home rather than conceive in a clinical environment. Anyone ever done this, and if so was anyone successful or is this to be avoided?
Thanks!!

Comments

• Options
    I'm curious to see the answer on this as well. I just posted a similar question. We had success with ICI at home previously, however the same donor only has IUI available now and we want to try at home again.
  • Options
    Hi PRBS -

We recommend using an ICI vial for an at home vaginal insemination because the vial includes seminal fluid which helps the sperm travel to the uterus (similar to intercourse). The IUI vials are washed which means that the seminal fluid is removed leaving a concentrated sample of motile sperm. While you can use an IUI vial for an at home vaginal insemination, it may not give you the best possible chance at pregnancy. (It's just something to think about if time and/or cost are a factor.)

An intrauterine insemination involves using a catheter to place the concentrated washed sperm directly into the uterus. This should be done by a medical professional in a sterile environment to reduce the risk of infection.

You can always discuss your options with your physician. There are some clinics that involve both partners in the IUI process to make it a more intimate experience.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB