Options

Willing to Be known: third time I post this query and no reply....

Hi, donor 13569 is WTBK, is that a guarantee of contact between offspring and Donor?

Comments

• Options
    Since I do know the answer to this question I will go ahead and answer it. An open donor simply is a donor who says at the time of donation that he would be willing to have one contact with offspring. That may be in the form of an email, phone call letter or in person visit depending on what both parties agree to. There is no such thing as "guarantee" of contact. The donor could die. The donor could change his mind. The donor could become unreachable because he no longer provides Cal Cryobank with reachable contact information. The donor could have contact with the first few kids and then decide he has had enough and ignore all future requests. There are no guarantees with this. Cal Cryobank will agree to try to keep in touch with the donor to have updated contact information, but if the donor stops contacting there is no recourse. On a side note, he donor may choose to respond in one single email and never have contact again with the offspring.
  • Options
    Hi Sweettheartt, thanks for your reply. This does not sound like a guarantee by any stretch...if there's no gurantee, then might as well stick with a completely anonymous donor...
  • Options
    Hi lv -

I apologize for the delay. I was away at a conference.

Donor 13569 is an Open Donor. Open Donors sign an agreement that they are willing to communicate a minimum of one time with the donor-conceived child once he/she turns 18. CCB will facilitate the contact and will make every attempt to make the contact a meaningful one. However, there may be a situation where contact cannot be established.

Many Open Donors choose to be Open because they feel that if they were donor-conceived, they would like to have that option.

Our Open Donor program has not been around for 18 years yet, but we have quite a few success stories of connecting offspring with their donors. We have been able to locate and contact donors that participated in our program two decades ago.

Many clients who select an Open Donor do so because they want to give their child the possibility to connect with the donor. They may also consider how they would answer the question, "Why did you choose this particular person to be my donor?"

Good luck with your donor search and please feel free to visit our website section on Open Donors:

http://www.cryobank.com/How-It-Works/Choosing-Your-Donor/Open-Donor-Program/

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB