Options

Any other sperm banks less expensive

Has anyone used any U.S. sperm banks that have African American or "other ancestries" donors that have vials for less expensive? These vials are expensive for someone like me who is paying with any help from insurance.

Comments

• Options
    The only other "reputable" bank I know of is Fairfax Cryobank, and their vials are of comparable cost. I know of two different people who have had success with vials from Fairfax, but my nurse at my RE's office told me that they've gotten duds from Fairfax on more than one occasion. The sperm may be expensive, but in my opinion you are better off going with CCB because they are generally acknowledged as the best in the business (per my RE). You will end up possibly paying more in the long run by using less that optimal specimens, because it could take much longer to get pregnant, if you get pregnant at all. Trying and failing is heartbreaking; believe me, I've been there. But my beautiful daughter makes it all worth it, a million times over.

Good luck to you.
  • Options
    I used Fairfax Cryobank for the first 4 IUI cycles I did, and the sperm counts were pretty low so I decided to switch banks to CCB. I've only done 1 cycle here (2 inseminations) and the counts were both much higher than the vials I had from Fairfax.
  • Options
    The interesting thing about Fairfax is that it has "Lifetime Photo Series" which are photos sold of the donors of baby, childhood, teenage years to adulthood. I´d really like to see what my donor looks like right now, and Fairfax has that option. Although the ordering process at Fairfax is much more complicated so thats why I decided to go with CCB to buy my vials.
  • Options
    northwest cryobank is by far the least expensive as far as i can see, but they also have the smallest selection of donors.. nwcryobank.com.
  • Options
    To be honest. I just had my IUI done last week. I purchsed 2 vials through Xytex. I din't have any problems with them. My counts were pretty high, and I also got my profile with an child and adult fotos. Too bad they don't have this amazing forum.
    I purchased 2 vials washed plus shipping was $1330
  • Options
    We have purchased 2 vials through CCB. Both had fairly high motility and medium count. Neither was successful. We then purchased two vials from Xytex. Both have had a count of 87 million, which was way higher than CCB, but the motility was around 50%. Cost was comparable. Two things I do like better about CCB are the forum and the sibling registry. Xytex does have a flat fee that you can pay and see extended profiles of all donors, though, which is really great. We're hoping for success this time (our 4th try.) Otherwise, we have to take a break to pay for it all. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    I have one vial left of donor 11455. If you'd like to purchase it please let me know. The vial is safe at the doctor's office and has been there since I purchased them all. I have no use for this last one. You will get all of his profile information and a photo of him. I purchased all of his information. I have a extremely beautiful little girl from using this donor.

Please leave me your email a address in this post and I will email you back.

~sunprincess
  • Options
    Hi, you mention African American ancestery and being someone using a donor of this decent it is FRUSTRATING to say the least. NW Fertility and other west coast banks usually have NO donors of this type, other than here at CCB. But, we discovered www.internationalcryo.com the typical low donor numbers, but cost less and their vials have a higher count! The ICI are a minimum 20mill, not 15mill! They have been great to work with so far, have no deposit fee on the tank shipment and good African American donors. Tonights our first ICI... Good luck to you!
  • Options
    hi, Sunprincess
    I was using donor 11455 for a while (4 IUIs) with no luck, and then I see your post, good to know that this donor is a good choice. I was thinking of not using my last vial, and choosing another one, thanks for your post, you can contact me in simmi2u2000@yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    simmi
  • Options
    Race was not one of the most important traits for us, so we did not eliminate on that basis. In the end it came down to one guy here and one through Pacific Reproductive Services. While we ultimately decided on the CCB donor, we really loved both of them and the donor from PRS is African American. PRS is a smaller operation than CCB, but they have been around a long time, have a good reputation, and I know several people who have gone through them successfully. Their prices are comparable to CCB, some things more expensive, some things less so. Last time I checked the vials were slightly less expensive.

Their site is: http://www.pacrepro.com/

His donor number is 4412. If you're able to drive to their office in Pasadena you can view a baby picture and long form profile for free there.

Here is the link directly to his profile: https://www.pacrepro.com/index.php?main_page=donor_short_profile&DCode=4412

We liked this guy so much I am excited to tell someone else about him even though we ultimately didn't select him. Good luck!
  • Options
    Just noticed how old the original post was - hopefully someone can use the info. today!