Options

My First Time

My name is Michelle.

My partner and I are going to be inseminating in two weeks and I am so nervous. I'm the one that's going to be carrying the baby and I'm afraid. I'm nervous because we've tired at home insemination twice and they didn't work. So we decided to do it with my doctor now.

I need some advice and knowledge on how the process goes. The doctor can tell me so much, but some of you guys have gone through this before.

I only brought one vail, because I want to be hopeful the first insemination works. I don't have any health problems, so the doctor said we wouldn't need medicine until we've tired at least three times with him.

I need some baby dust!!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    Hi mmcnair,

My partner and I had our first insemination last Thursday (10/9). We are in our 2 week wait and it's killing us!!!
    The procedure was actually a bit more uncomfortable than I had thought it would be, but they say everyone is different - and the end result is definitely worth any momentary discomfort. I had some mild twinge-like cramping for a day or so afterward and a bit of light spotting, but nothing too terrible. Lots of mucus the day or two after - they say it's because the syringe "knocks" some if it loose while in the cervix.
    Like you, we have no reason to suspect we are infertile so we have not been using the medication, yet. We are trying to stay positive and hope that it takes on the first try. It does happen! I wish you LOTS of baby dust!

Jenn
  • Options
    Michelle,

My partner is carrying our baby and we were successful on our first try with an IUI. She did not take any medication. We think the key was the timing of the insemination. The insemination was done 24 hours after a positive OPK. Everyone is different, but that is what worked for us.

My partner experienced what she thought was her period, about 4 days of spotting. We were confused a little when the preg test was positive.

Good luck!!

C-
  • Options
    Hey all,
    My partner on sunday 10/26 did our first IUI we are both excited and nervous. The next 2 weeks will be rough because this is all we can think of. I feel bad for my parnter because she is the one caring so its always on her mind, with me I can be doing other things to take it off my mind but our baby could be growing inside her so its ALWAYS on her mind, nothing seems to take her mind off it. I know once these 2 weeks pass and we find out the great news we will just have nine more months of excitment and nerves ahead. So I guess we just take it one day at a time and go from there!!

Any advice on how she can pass the time?
    Thanks,
    Cris & Cavelle.
  • Options
    hello ladies, my partner and i also had our first iui on 10/13. my partner is the one carrying also. the 2ww is horrible. i actually feel like it was harder for me than it was for her, and she agrees. i just wanted youto all know that there is hope. we got our BFP! now we wait to see if it is one or more!
    how to pass the time- love one another and keep open discussion. we went to disney,was already planned, so that helped us pass the time. sucks though cause she couldnt ride any rides, just in case. thank god we were cautious.
    looks like we gonna be mommies!
  • Options
    Thank you all for reply to my post. I had my IUI insemination on 10/23/08 and I'm going crazy waiting. I watch the health channel about babies all the time. Even before we did the insemination.

So every time my body feels a little different I'm like oh maybe I am pregnant. But I think I might feel these things because I know what to look for. I know it's bad to do that, because in the end I'm going to be sad if I don't get the results I want. But it's hard not to.

I try not to think about it when I'm at work, but one of my frineds at work is pregnant now. So all day I ask her questions to see if the same thing is happening to me.

I wish everyone luck and a happy outcome. Just think if we all get a positive pregnancy test, we'll be having our babies around the same time next year.
  • Options
    We got a BFN after our first insemination last month and went for IUI #2 this morning. Back in the 2WW. Ugh. Good luck to everyone...would love to hear success stories???
  • Options
    Hello Ladies,
    My partner and I got our results on Sunday, looks like we will be going for a second IUI later this month. We thought that the hardest part so far was the TWW, turns out hearing the nurse say the word "negative" was even worse.
    Good luck to every one still in the TWW.
    Cavelle.
  • Options
    Hi cavelleb23 and all the ladies!
    That negative is a crushing blow. I was given the news from Aunt Flo herself...I don't know which is worse, but I grieved for 3 days straight. It was very hard. Our second IUI attempt was nothing like our first. Quick and painless. The 2WW is proving much to be the same. We know what to expect this time around and are "trying" not to focus all of our attention on "it." This month I have decided to take the Prometrium suppositories, which we are hoping may make a difference. If this month does not work out for us, we will be going with the trigger shot and back to back inseminations next month. Hopefully that will cover all the bases and we can have a Merry Christmas! :-) much luck to all...stay in touch
  • Options
    Too all
    I keep telling myself everyone has a first time....it is very nerve racking though. Picking out our donor was very weird, I have picked out breeding pedigrees for livestock just never thought I would have to do it for myself as well. I wish more info was available like how many children their sperm has concieved and the % of girls vs boys. Guess I can't have it all. Once the fertility Doc can straighten out my cycle then we will hopefully be inseminated the first part of Dec. What a Christmas present it would be to find out we are expecting. My heart goes out to all that have had to do numerous inseminations. I am not sure how I will handle that roller coaster if it becomes part of my journey. Good luck to all and God Bless!
    Melz
  • Options
    Are you pregnant? How did it go?
  • Options
    My cycle didn't come on this month. I took one of those dollar store pregnancy tests the day after my missed period. It was positive. I have to take two blood tests to cinfirm that I'm pregnant. Then I go back in two weeks to hear the heart beat. I had bad cramps the day before my cycle was supposed to come on and two days after.

I work so much and I haven't been able to go in and take the blood test. I'm a little afriad b/c I haven't had any morning sickness. I know every person don't get it. But the other girl at my job just found out she's pregnant and she's sick all the time. I haven't told anyone at my job I'm pregnant yet.
  • Options
    mmcnair
    my partner is going on 7 weeks pregnant with twins. ahe has had no morning sickness at all. the doctor says that her and the babies are in great shape. not having sickness does not mean anything at all. my partners mother had 3 children and did not have an ounce of sickness for any of them. all people are different. not getting sick does not meant that yo will not have a perfectly healthy pregnancy. good luck!
  • Options
    hey melz - you can ask the cryobank the number of pregnancies the donor has had... they can't tell you an exact but they can say more or less than 5... maybe that will help
  • Options
    Hi guys,

Everybody always thinks they're going to get pregnant the first time, but it rarely happens. You just have to go into this knowing that it's going to take a while. We tried several months with a guy we knew before turning to CBC. He was older, and we figured his sperm count must've been low. Anyway, we tried 2 rounds of ICI and 4 IUI's. We cycled through several donors whose vials would mysteriously run out when insemination time rolled around. We decided not to store sperm; we just ordered one vial and had it shipped each time. We never used any meds. Our 4th IUI was the magic charm! It was also our first try with this particular donor. Sometimes, it's worth changing donors if you're not having success.

Never give up hope, ladies. It could take on your very next try! We're almost 7 weeks pregnant now and we can hardly believe it ourselves! And don't worry if you happen to be of 'advanced maternal age'. I just turned 38 :-)

The timing part of insemination can be tricky; every woman is different. And it can be difficultt if your clinic won't accommodate exactly when you want to come in. You might actually try doing IUI yourself at home. There are plenty of websites with info on supplies etc. We think timing was a key factor in our getting pregnant. There are a lot of sites that will tell you to wait 36-48 hours after an LH surge (which is what we did the first 3 attempts.) But I know my body and that was too late; I could feel the ovulation twinges closer to 12 hours after the LH. So we did our last insemination around 18 hours post LH.

Anyway, just food for thought...

Good luck everyone!

Catherine & Laura
  • Options
    I have very good news to sure with everyone.

I went to the doctor yesterday to take my blood test. I was so nervous. The lab tech asked me if I wanted to have them do the test in their lab or have it send off to the lab that my insurance pays for. I couldn't wait any longer, so I had them test it in their lab. But I had to leave to go to work afterwards and the tech said it will be two hours before they're finish. When the phone rang at work I couldn't wait anymore. The first thing she said was congrats you're pregnant. She told me that my levels were high enough not to take a second blood test in two days. She said that my levels were very high, at 1100.

I couldn't wait to tell my partner, I was going to explode at work. When I told her how high the levels were, the first thing she said was that I was pregnant with twins. We have to go back in to hear the heart beat and to make sure the baby in not in the tubes; before they refer us to the prenatal doctor.

Have anyone had to do the same thing before they get referred to a prenatal doctor?

Thank you for reading and repling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    mmcnair,

Congratulations to you and your partner!! :)

Kathy
  • Options
    conratulations! wow! your levels are really high. at the two week mark when we had our first blood test it was at 488(which turned out twins) and they told us that that was extremely high. do you know how many follicles you had? all i can say is that i would be very suprised if you are not having twins or more!
    Best of luck and keep us posted
  • Options
    I don't know how many follicles I had. The doctor didn't check that. I didn't have to take medicine. He said since there was nothing wrong with me and I'm young we don't have to take medicine. Only if after three times of insemination and no baby, we would have to.
  • Options
    congratulations mmcnair! so happy for you. my 2ww comes to an end today. i'm leaving for my blood test in about an hour and came on here for some inspiration to calm my nerves - thank you for that!
  • Options
    Congratulations! That is wonderful news mmcnair. Must be multiples. How cool.
  • Options
    Hi! My partner and I had our first IUI 10 days ago. This 2ww is really, really hard- very consuming. It becomes an obsession. I'm scared of not getting a positive this month and having to wait until January to try again. I just wanted to get that out there...trying not to stress, but it's definitely very difficult. One day, I'm convinced that I'm pregnant, and the next I feel like I'm kidding myself and I'm not. I think I'm losing my mind. I wore my bedroom slippers to work this morning by accident. I'm crampy, my lower back hurts, and I'm just praying AF doesn't come Sunday. I had 3 follicles, and we did clomid 50mg and the hcg trigger. Here's to hoping for a BFP for us all! Congrats to the new mommies-to-be! :)
  • Options
    Hello All,
    This is our first time posting. I am 28, my wife is 34. I guess you could say we are in the "pre-contemplation" stage. Just trying to get all of the information we can....I know this will seem like a strange maybe juvenile question, but how did you know that you were ready, fincially, emotionally, spiritually, ect. We have been talking about having kids for the past two years, but it always seems that the cost of everything is so extravigant, and We don't want to struggle or have our child struggle. We are keeping this quiet right now as far as family and friends go, but I was hoping that I could find an outlet, maybe a group that knew the "ropes" if you will, this is so much more than i ever thought it would be, we havent started the process yet and i'm nervous...Thank you.
  • Options
    Congratulations to those who have conceived! What a Happy Christmas it will be for you! I'm going in for my first IUI next week. Unfortunately because of my lifestyle and my desire for my partner to be involved, there was only one doctor in the area willing to perform the insemination which comes at a pretty high price. I don't know what we are going to do if it doesn't take on the first or second try. Being a mommy is the one thing in my life that I feel I am supposed to be. I can feel it within my being and I am trying not to be nervous, but the harder I try to distract myself, the more difficult it becomes. :) Guess you've all gone through this though. It is nice to know we're not alone.

My doctor has me on Clomid 100 mg for five days and then taking an ovadril injection before the insemination even though I don't have fertility problems (we're just missing the means to get pregnant). He said we shouldn't have any more than two at most, though.

Well, good luck to all. Thank you for your ear.
  • Options
    Hi Siuc02,

I am sorry that you could only find one doctor who was willing to perform the insemination. What area are you in? We are in Texas. You know, I once had a doctor tell me that there were NO doctors in Houston who did same sex inseminations....I still need to report her for that unethical behavior. There are several doctors and a huge fertility clinic which caters to same sex and opposite sex couples. It is sad when we have to face discrimination during one of the most important life choices ever. I am glad you are trying. My partner and I tried once and got a negative. We will try again at the end of this month. Try not to get discouraged.

Hello Grace416,
    There will always be uncertainties with having a child, especially when you have to plan every detail of conception. I am 28 and my partner is 35. She had the same concerns (financial, emotional, etc) but she eventually came around. :) We have been together for 10 years and this is the first time we are on the same page about when to have kids. I hope the same works out for you.

Kathy
  • Options
    Thanks CJKJ, for the encouragement. It is incredibly frustrating being turned down solely based on lifestyle. Of course, this is very common living in the good ole midwest. Sad, but it is reality. So instead of focusing on the negative, I'm trying to focus on the positive-and hopefully we'll be starting a family soon!
  • Options
    Thanks cjkj
    I appreciate the encouragement. I know that's a normal struggle when considering having kids. I get so frustrated that it's not as easy as well when do we want to start a family? now, that'd be great 9 mths later....that's the end of the story. I am the kind of person who does research and likes to be very thurough with things where as my partner is like who needs details lets jump:) Congrats to getting your partner to come around:) tips are welcomed!! where are you at in this process? I'm still very new to all of this and find it so easy to get overwhelmed...thanks again, nice to have some encouragement from someone who know's where i'm coming from...until next time:)