Options

Advice on the process

Hi there, just wanted to wish everyone lots of luck, and ask a question about this process. So, I am 100% going to do this (hopefully in February if all goes well), but wondering exactly how the process works. Got my blood tests done, and just waiting for the HSG which should be this month after I get my period (recently went off the pill so hoping I'm regular). Then Kaiser told me I would come in to have a physical, a vaginal ultrasound, and go over my results. So then what?? Can I have the IUI as soon as I ovulate following the appointment? Is it up to me to tell them when I ovulate, or do they monitor? Just curious. CANNOT wait to do this! I've been wanting a baby for what seems like forever. Feel so much less stressed now that I don't have to look for "Mr. Right". I'm a picky one, and I'd rather do it alone that settle for less than the best. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Gltrbug - I am new here too and just finished my first day of my first IUI procedure - tomorrow is my second. I feel like it has been moving really quick. I went for my first appointment in October, the HSG after the first period after (December) and began monitoring with the next (January 4th). My doctors office had me monitor with an at home LH kit at the same time that they monitored with blood work and one vaginal ultrasound (to see what my eggs looked like). I have to say that the at-home kit was okay, but the blood tests were a better predictor (they knew before the test did).

I hope this helps. Let me know how you do.
  • Options
    Hi mm96 and Gltrbug- i am new here and i haven't even began the process yet. could you tell me what to expect from the first visit....
  • Options
    Thanks mm96. I had my HSG test last Friday, and am going in for my vaginal ultrasound tomorrow. I'm excited, and hoping that means next month I can start IUI (or maybe even this month if they are quick enough). I should know a lot more tomorrow. How was your first IUI?

Chanice, welcome. I'm fairly new to the game as well, but getting ready to start the IUI process. As far as the first visit...I haven't had one yet. I called my insurance company (Kaiser) and they sent me some paperwork to fill out. Once I did that they sent me more paperwork instructing me to have bloodwork done at the lab as well as schedule an HSG (test to make sure your fallopian tubes are open). Now that I have completed those, I will have my first appointment tomorrow. So...hopefully I'll get the go ahead for IUI. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Hi Gltrbug - I am afraid my first IUI was unsuccessfull. It was not easy news to receive, but I gave myself a couple of days to be sad and now I get to start all over. I am glad that your HSG is all done. My RE actually mentioned that there was a shadow in mine, so I have to go back for a saline sonogram, so this month is probably not going to be a good one for me, but I guess I will just have to wait and see what happens. Let me know hwat happens with your ultrasound and when you will undergo your IUI - really - it is absolutely nothing.

Chanice - do you have any specific questions - my first visit with my RE was a consultation (I took my mom with me as I found it helpful to have someone there to hear and digest what was said) and an exam. They did a vaginal ultrasound and look a quick look and advising regarding what the next steps would be. It was a lot to digest. I also met with the office's Finacial person to go over the costs, my insurance, etc. Please let me know if there is any other information I can help you with.
  • Options
    mm96- I'm sorry to hear your first IUI was unsuccessful. I'm trying not to get my hopes up, or stress until after IUI number 3 or so. I had my vaginal ultrasound today, and the doctor said everything looked good. I just filled out a consent form, got some information, and am going to start IUI in February. I might be able to squeeze it in this month, but it's doubtful, because I have to ship my sperm, make sure Kaiser has all the necessary paperwork, and fax my A1 Form. I should be ovulating within the next 5-7 days, so I may not have time, but I will try. I'll keep you posted. Good luck with your sonogram...anything has got to be better than the HSG! Hopefully the upcoming month will be a better one for you.
  • Options
    Hi Gltrbug - I was trying not to get my hopes up as it was highly unlikely to work on the first try, but it was still very disappointing and sad. I just ordered my next batch and will hopefully be able to try again the first weekend in February - my RE starts monitoring me again on the 3rd. I will keep my fingers crossed for you - let me know how you are doing.
  • Options
    thanks mm96 and Gltrbug for your help :) my appointment is tommrow @ noon.. when you went to your first appointment were you taking B-12 or prenatal vitamins?
  • Options
    Gltrbug..
    I think we are on the same schedule, if I can get my chosen sperm (still undecided) shipped, we are looking at my 1st IUI on 2/5, it's scary and exciting..all ,y pre-fertility tests came back positive and all within normal ranges.

my HSG was painful, take more than 2 advils but then others didn't experience so much pain.

I've been taking B12/folate since end of October and a good multi. The process takes time b/c of all the testing and some of the tests you have to wait til your cycle so it's important to stay on track if you are looking to inseminate soon.

good luck everyone..
  • Options
    Hi chanice - I was just taking a regular over-the-counter multivitamin when I wen to my appointment. My RE gave me a prescription for a prenatal (and some samples). I have been taking it ever since. Good luck tomorrow - make sure you let us know how you did.

Sui - Good luck with your IUI - don't worry - it is nothing like the HSG.
  • Options
    Hi All, - has anyone every tired Letrozole insead of Clomid? I am having my 4thIUI and my doctor wants to put me on that; this go around.

Thanks

KEN