Options

Starting the donor search . . .

And as a lesbian just a bit weirded out that the blurbs are akin to when I helped a friend screen her blurbs on Match.com :)

any tips for a couple just starting the process?

Comments

• Options
    My partner and I recently just started our search as well. We think we have found the donor we want as far as looks, personality, etc. We ordered the childhood photos, and conversation and everything else to learn as much as we could about him. Our next step is to see a doctor, order vials, and get started! Wishing you both all the luck!!
  • Options
    The first thing to do is for whoever is carrying to get a CMV test. If the person who is carrying is positive they can choose any donor if she is negative a lot of doctors highly suggest you choose a negative donor. Then decide if you want an open donor or an anonymous one. Then find out about the mothers family medical history. For example if colon cancer runs in her family you are probably not going to want to choose a donor whose family has the same issues. Then decide on whatever random personality quality is important to you. For example, I wanted someone who was good at math and liked the performing arts. I wanted someone who was easy going and definitely not sarcastic. Then you decide looks wise what you want or cultural background etc. I strongly recommend buying the full subscription so you can see everyone's info.
  • Options
    Thanks. What is CMV? I haven't been able to figure this out. I have an appointment with my gyn in a month. She thinks I am likely fertile even though I officially have geriatric ovaries (just turned 36). She couldn't find anything that indicated I wouldn't be and it is supposed to be good news that my sister is very fertile and has conceived at age 32 with no issue at all. We did some more looking at donors -- my partner is very tall (I am short) and opposite complected and all that from me so we were just looking for someone who has those general characteristics to start. I think we'll order some of the extra stuff a la carte or whatever (this is so strange, really, writing like this about the Y chromosome I am going to purchase to complete the making of a child inside my body) once we narrow it down. I guess that the essays are what is making or breaking whether I consider someone or not. One's occupation on the profile said unemployed and I clicked out right away but my partner told me that was ridiculous. "He doesn't have to support us!" She has a point. Good at math and music might be nice since I am hopeless at both, but other stuff I feel like is or can be nurtured in a child.

If it says "Pregnancy - Yes" does that mean that donated sperm has resulted in pregnancy?
  • Options
    CMV is a virus caused severe medical problems in an unborn fetus, if a mother is CMV negative and picks it up thru sperm. Chances of it are extremely small but possible theoretically. I felt that seeing the photos were Hugely helpful in choosing a donor so I encourage you to at least get the minimum subscription. You might notice a donor you would have overlooked. Don't focus on employment so much as grades in high school and college. They are a million reasons why they might not have a current job that have little to do with potential. What I really was looking for was the Big 4. Good personality, intelligence especially in math and science since I struggled, where in the staff impressions they state that he's handsome, and good personality. A bonus for me is light colored eyes, tall, an open donor, and interested in the creative arts. Do NOT worry if he has created a pregnancy. If it lists he didn't it's only because he is too new. They are all capable. Frankly, I'd love to have the first baby.
  • Options
    Feel lonely to be from another country and depend on Google translator to talk to you! :/

Nobody talks to me or take any questions.
  • Options
    I believe in using American banks semen.