Options

increasing your chances

Hi everybody! I've been doing some research and have read that to help increase our chances of getting pregnant right away there are certain dietary changes we can make...along with a few other lifestyle changes. We are starting our first attempt (IUI with Clomid) in a few weeks and my partner has given up caffeine,alcohol, milk, wheat and anything processed. Has anybody out there made similiar changes? What about taking aspirin and mucinix? We've also read that going to a chiropractor or doing accupuncture also helps.
What about being intimate before and after. I've heard all things. Clearly we sound as though we are going over board...probably just my type A personality :) but really it's mostly me doing the research with my partner making little changes here and there along the way but not stressing over anything. I just thought since this is going to be so expensive....if we can increase our chances, why not!

Comments

• Options
    I would agree with you on many things...I gave up caffiene, alcohol, increase my fruits (raspberries) and took the aspirin and mucinex. Those are the things that I can remember off the top of my head...search my old posts and you'll find everything I did. I got a BFP on the first IUI and I was 35 years old. Our daughter is now 9 months.

Good luck.
  • Options
    from what i understand, the reason women take mucinex (or other meds containing guafinesin) is to improve the quality of their cervical mucus. with iui, you bypass this issue altogether. is this incorrect? i'm a few weeks from my first iui, as well, and wonder if i should reconsider taking mucinex. does anyone have more information?
  • Options
    My RE had me take it, so it must do something.
  • Options
    I was told Mucinex does not make a difference when you are doing IUI. I have heard of red raspberry leaves and false unicorn, one acts as a natural estrogen, the other acts as a natural progresterone. Chaste berry too, I think is another one that acts as an estrogen. But from the reading I have done, you only need one estrogen and one progestrone, you don't need to overload on natural meds.

MistyandCarla - did you take Mucinex the four days before ovulation?
  • Options
    I have been using a lot of alternative practices to hopefully increase my chances. I have been going to acupuncture, eating organic especially dairy, meat and eggs. Trying to cut out meat, eating lots of fruits and vegetables. I found this great website www.natural-fertility-info.com that talks about diet and supplements. I also ordered a guided imagery cd from Cirlce Bloom that was specifically created for IUI/IVF. My acupuncturist also told me it's important to keep my feet warm because of a uterus acupressure point, and to put a natural heating pad over your uterus 1xday. I was taking aspirin, but my RE told me to not take aspirin.
    Hope you find some of this helpful, it all gives me hope.
  • Options
    Thanks everybody....fingers crossed!!!
  • Options
    Hi Ladies...just a little side note about aspirin...it has been linked to increased risk of miscarriage...just something to think about...NSAIDS and Ibuprofen have been linked as well...thought it was worth sharing! Sending baby wishes to all of u!
  • Options
    LSmsw- How long were you told to keep the heating pad on and what days on your cycle? what is the diff between a 'natural heating pad & an electric one? I was told to keep sox on ALL THE TIME!
  • Options
    Smittinbaby,
    To keep my uterus warm and improve blood flow to the uterus and ovaries the recommendation is everyday except during menstration for up to 60 minutes. Apparently the plug in pads emit low amounts of radiation (?!), the natural one I have is called a 'bed buddy', pick it up in any CVS,Mart type store, it just goes in the microwave for 2 minutes. On the www.natural-fertility-info.com they also talk about doing 'castor oil packs' where you put a castor oil soaked rag on you belly with heat, tried it a few times, but too much work, and then doing a fertility self-massage. It's all for the purpose of increaseing blood flow.
  • Options
    Just came across this article on the natural-fertility-info.com website about aspirin. Here are some excerpts.
    "Research is now showing that these non-steroidal anti-inflammatory over-the-counter medications (also known as NSAIDs), can actually prevent the follicles in the ovaries from bursting and releasing eggs for fertilization. Often referred to as luteinizing unruptured follicle syndrome (LUF or LUFS), this can result in an inability to get pregnant."
    "Does all this mean that aspirin is bad for one’s fertility? Not always. There is some evidence to indicate that aspirin can actually help some couples get pregnant. In rare instances, certain antibody reactions within the body could be hampering conception. This is caused when anti-nuclear, lupus and anticardioipin antibodies are present. In this case, the medicinal use of aspirin and other NSAIDs can be used to reduce inflammation and stop this negative reaction."
  • Options
    Hey ladies I heard that taking prenatal vitamins can make you fertile!!!