Options

When Did You Inseminate?

My partner and I are getting to our wits end. We think we are doing so much right and yet still get Aunt Flo every month. Just curious what everyone does???

We start with the ovulation sticks (Clear Blue) and we always do it in the afternoon (same time each day). After getting a dark blue line, we go in the following morning (8:30 a.m.) and get the insemination. This is our second round on clomid. We have no trigger shot and no u/s. It is sooo frustrating.

What is everyone else using?? Double IUI's? Trigger? Etc??

Comments

• Options
    I was told that most women show the first signs of their LH surge between 12am and 8 am. try and find out when your surge first begins. I found that by stick was pretty dark by 6am and very dark by 9am. I was also told to wait a good 36 to 48 hours before you inseminate.. Maybe waiting a little bit longer before you inseminate might help.. I waited 35 hours after my surge line turned very dark, and maybe it was luck but I'm pregnant.
  • Options
    By the way this was only one IUI and no fertility drugs. However my doc inseminated me at home in bed and I stayed in bed for almost two days, not that is necessary but I wanted to give myself every chance possible..
  • Options
    My doctor said test in the morning with your first urine... it has the highest concentration, then when you get the positive, call and schedule IUI for the next day, preferably before noon.

With clomid, they also say it pushes you out a bit and for me it did about 2 days.

I also stayed at doc. with hips in air for 30 minutes after... went home in the car with my feet in the air (like Sharon Stone on if these walls could talked... we died laughing) Then I laid in bed the rest of the day, watched Madagascar and slept! LOL

That was my first IUI and we got our positive on Sunday and my blood test HCG levels have doubled! I also recommend The Essential Guide to Lesbian Conception, Pregnancy & Birth by Stephanie Brill... it has great ideas on increasing fertility! Good Luck!
  • Options
    It is so interesting to hear responses. We go through an RE at one of the most respected hospitals in the country and here is what we have been told from the beginning:

Test in the afternoon between the hours of 2:00-10:00. After testing positive, schedule the insemination for the next morning (which we have always done). After getting inseminated, we lay there for about 15 minutes and then go about our normal routine. Their claim is that the sperm can't "fall out" because it is directly placed in the uterus.

I want more feedback from others, because it seems so contradictory to what we have been doing. Thanks for sharing!
  • Options
    That is really interesting, Shannon, b/c I, too, had always heard not to test first thing in the morning since the LH can build up and show a false positive. We always tested b/w 2-4 PM. We inseminated the following morning after the surge, but the jury is still out on if it worked!

But, hey, if it worked for Shannon, maybe it will work for the rest of us! :)
  • Options
    I don't know if this helps or not since I'm also one that can't seem to get this process to work for me...

Before we went to the trigger shot, my doctor used to tell me that we could test for LH in the morning & at night. That way we could get a "heads up" the night before if the 2nd line was beginning to turn dark instead of being surprised in the morning since we also went for the IUI the day we identified the surge.

I stay at the doctors for ~20 minutes after procedure with my "feet in the air". They have also told me that I can go about normal routine since the goods will not "fall out", but I have always taken it easy the rest of the day.
  • Options
    My partner and I have been through two failed IUI's, no meds. My RE told me to test once a day starting with day 11, between 10am and 2pm and once I get a positive, to call the office and schedule the IUI for the next day. I tested just about every 4-6 hours starting at around 9:30am. I have read not to use the first urine of the day, but to wait a bit after you get up. My first month I tested at 10:30am and it was negative and then tested again at 1:30 and it was positive. We went in the next day and was inseminated at noon. It didn't take.

My second month, I got the positive at 2pm. Again, we went in at noon the next day. No pregancy. We are going to do Clomid and the trigger shot next month AND inseminate back to back, two days in a row. I think, as far as timing is concerned, we should nail it. If it doesn't happen this time around, I'll go and have my tubes checked for blockage. Hoping I won't have to do that, I hear it can be painful. '

As far as the sperm "falling out," one nurse in the clinic I go to said there is no way it could possibly come out, and another said it was possible. I have no idea. My first IUI, I went home and laid in bed for the rest of the day. My second IUI I went back to work. (although I did try and keep my feet up all day, even in my office!)
  • Options
    I was on Clomid, u/s monitoring, and trigger shot (blocked left tube) so I don't know how much this will help some of you but I thought I'd share. Even though I was using the trigger shot, my doctor still had me doing the stick test starting on day 11 to make sure we didn't miss the surge. One month I did surge on my own and didn't need the shot. I had three failed IUIs before the fourth one took. After the trigger shot, I had the IUI about 34.5/35 hours later. My doctor said the best time is 30-36 hours after the surge (shot in my case). Normally, she had me stay with hips elevated for 20-30 minutes, but the time it worked for me, I stay for 45 minutes. It was 9:00pm and I was the only one at the office and she was catching up on paper work and said I could stay as long as I wanted. Then I went home and went to bed. All of my other IUIs were done during the daytime and I had taken it easy, but still gone about my regular routine.
  • Options
    Ladies - Thank you very much for your replies. My partner started her P today, so we are looking at another month. She is having the test done (check for blockage) and this will be our last month on Clomid. If the next month is not successful, we are heading to injectables with u/s and trigger. I think the trigger and u/s will greatly help with the issue of timing.

Regarding double inseminations.. our RE swears there is "little evidence" that it is effective. Of course we would love to have success with the Clomid without dealing with injectables.
  • Options
    My doctor says the same on double IUI's... My vial had 53 million with 46% motility and she said that it only increases your chances by like 1% so she doesn't agree with it... until you've tried a few times with no success...

I do think it's important to rest on the day of though... and stay with at least your hips elevated for 25-30 minutes at the doctors office. I did have a strange odor on the day of and the day after.. The doctor did say that some of it will come out.... because it's a lot that is put in the uterus and those that don't swim up do have to come out at some time..

Strange how so many "medical experts" contradict in their advice.

Tkurth had IUI at 34 hours later, I had mine at 30 hours after first notice of surge... and we both went home and went to bed just after and it worked for both of us... I know there are a lot of other variables... but maybe that's at least on of the keys?

good luck to everyone in finding what works for you!
  • Options
    Wow you had 53 million in 1 vile??? While my RE does not tell us numbers, another person on the boards who uses the same donor said it was 11.4 million. That is a huge difference!