Options

All of a sudden this seems hard!

I went to my OB/GYN yesterday to let him know that I am starting the journey of being a mom. The whole appointment went well. I explained I just went off of my BCP about a month ago and I am temping. I also told him I was taking a prenatal vitamin. He gave me some suggestions (i.e. taking folic acid in addition to the prenatal vitamin and change some of my current medications I am on) and he filled out my release the semen form.

My insurance doesn't cover IUI so I knew going into this I will be doing ICI. No biggie.

Well....The moment I got in my car, I felt overwhelmed! Why does this all of a sudden seem so incredibly hard!??!? The timing of my cycle so I can order my little swimmers in the right time to get pregnant.

I need some words of encouragement or been there done that advice! :P

Beca

Comments

• Options
    Well, it is a lot to go through. Once you get started it will become a normal routine. I'll be honest, it's not a piece of cake for everyone and you'll want to be prepared for that. I did 7 IUIs (my insurance doesn't cover them or the meds either) and finally pregnant from an insemination that landed on my birthday. I lost my baby both at the 4th month due to possible cervical failure (water broke two weeks before and I went on bedrest). Plus, he had a birth defect called an Omphalocele (intestines outside the body). I think it's a great idea that your doc has suggested taking additional folic acid. Iam taking 3mg in addition to the 1mg I get from the prenatal which is something I didn't take like I was supposed to the last time. I don't let myself forget now. On the other, some people get pregnant the 1st time and deliver normal, healthy babies. Good luck to you. You just have to stay strong and be ready to deal with whatever life throws your way.
  • Options
    smaciegracie - I'm thinking that it won't take me only one time. I am thinking it will be a few times, especially since I am doing an ICI with a lower success rate. I know that each 2WW will be hard and so will getting a BFN.

Are you temping?
  • Options
    I'm not temping. I did try that a few years ago. I have to take fertility meds so my RE just monitors me with ultrasound. I'm glad you have that kind of mentality. BFNs do hurt...feels like somebody dies everytime. Anyway,I wish you well.
  • Options
    Thanks smaciegracie. Lots of babydust your way!
  • Options
    The process does feel overwhelming in the beginning, but once you get the routine down, it's not hard. Of course, other challenges can pop up along the way, but you just have to remind yourself what it's all about: being a mother.

Speaking from experience (and looking back at how I would do it differently from the beginning if I could start over again), I'd be hesitant about doing an ICI at home. It's more challenging that you'd think. If you do, just make sure to get a needless syringe with a VERY SMALL tip for the insemination, because otherwise it won't fit into the tiny vial nor pick up the miniscule amount of sperm inside. My one ICI was basically a disaster, but I've read success stories, so you never know.

Other than that, I did several IUIs without medication and I wouldn't do that again either. I'm now with a wonderful RE (did the rest of this via a clinic and didn't have my own regular doctor; that was a mistake too) and she told me the success rate without meds can be as low as 6%. I'll either be doing a medicated IUI next time or, depending on the results of my saline ultrasound test (doing it this weekend), I may pursue mini or conventional IVF.

Keep in mind, I started this process at 39 and am now 40. Age isn't always the determining factor, but it can help you decide which path to take.

This isn't to scare you off at all; just to give you some tips from someone who's been around the block.

Hang in there, and best of luck!

--CSS
  • Options
    Thank you for the info CSS. I'll admit, when I read it the first time through, I was scared even more! I had to remind myself that any information I can get my hands on is worth my heart dropping!

When you started your process, did you have a normal cycle? Did you temp or use OPKs to determine when you should get your sperm?

I'm a month away from 31. It took my mom 2 years to conceive me without medication and they say your fertility closely matches that of your mom's. We'll see.

Good luck to you!
  • Options
    Hi again,

Sorry if I scared you off! I had a feeling that might happen. There's a lot of information to digest in general and it can feel overwhelming at times. But you really do fall into the rhythm of it once you get started. Plus, you're at a great age to be doing this. Whatever the case, a good attitude really helps, so chin up :-)

To answer your questions:

Yes, I always had a regular cycle. The stress of anticipation threw my cycle off for a couple of months before getting started, but acupuncture got me right back on track and I've been regular ever since.

I use the Clear Blue Easy digital monitor and it's served me very well. But I also have some cheapy test sticks to double check and/or test again later in the day if needed.

I just got the results of my saline ultrasound this morning and everything's normal, so I'm relieved. And my doctor's really encouraging. I'm going to head right into my first medicated IUI cycle starting today, so wish me luck!

And lots of babydust to you too!

--CSS
  • Options
    CSS - No worries about scaring me! :) I'd much rather have someone tell me the truth than sugar coat it all.

I am all about the natural way of doing things and I have heard about acupuncture. I will look into that if needed.

I definitely agree with you that a good attitude is the way to go on things! I have been using the power of positive thought to help me with everything and remind myself to take it all one day at a time.

LOTS of babydust coming your way!!! I can't wait to hear more from you!

Beca