Options

14529 - LOW COUNTS

Our 1st choice for 1st IUI was donor 14529 for multiple reasons. Don't know if we were the first to purchase vials for IUI. My clinic assured and verified for me that they did not wash the sperm prior to my procedure on 9/17. The total motile counts were only 6 million. Most all the donor sperm they recieve at the clinic is over 10 million! This is so frustrating. If I don't get pregnant, I will be filling out the necessary paperwork to request a refund. It sucks because a refund will only cover the donor sperm...not the entire procedure which was expensive!

Comments

• Options
    Hey there!

I understand how you are feeling. My wife and I had a similar experience. When we went for our first round of IUI, both vials from our initial donor, had low sperm counts. We did receive credit from CCB, but like you said it didn't cover the actual procedure or any of the ultrasounds, medication and everything else we put into that cycle. After that first cycle, we switched donors and ended up pregnant on our 4th round of IUI.

One piece of advice that our RE gave us was to order ICI vials and our clinic would wash the vials. Our clinic didn't charge us extra for the wash, so I know it wasn't about trying to make more money :) Our RE told us that although CCB does an excellent job of washing, there are different types of washing methods, which produce different results. Our clinic's washing methods, can't remember the name of the type of wash, was the best at leaving only the most motile sperm thus giving you a higher chance at becoming pregnant. This method did work for us :) We got pregnant using ICI vials washed at the clinic. Also something to keep in mind is that motility is very important, not just the sperm count. By our doctor washing, the sperm we inseminated with was always 95-98% motile.

Lastly, I can tell you that the month we got pregnant, we had done one IUI unlike the other cycles where we had done 2, back to back. We inseminated 8 million swimmers that day with 98% motility. We now have a 9 month old daughter from that day! Remember, all it takes is 1 :)

Sending you baby dust!
    Courtney
  • Options
    Hi Wally030306,
    Thanks for your response and sharing your experience! If it turns out that I am not pregnant, I will talk to my doctor at the clinic about ordering ICI vials instead if they would recommend it. I never thought about that! At my clinic there is one set price for a clomid monitored IUI cycle which includes a wash anyways so it wouldn't cost extra. And FYI, the 6 million that we are reporting is the TOTAL MOTILE count for 1/2mL. The total count 29 million/1 mL with 40% motility. So I'm still assuming that 10 million is guaranteed for the 1/2mL used for actual IUI right? And congratulations to you and your wife on your success!!!