Options

Need opinion: single moms with roomates

I'm working on being a single mom who lives with a roomate. I rent from her and she happens to be my best friend. We both are single right now and I am concerned about introducing a baby into a household where my friend wants to maintain her lifestyle and is not interested in children of her own. Financially I need to share housing costs. The house is rather small with no room for a nursery. Does anyone have experience or advice in this situation? I really value my friendship but at the same time at 40 I can't keep pitting off having a child.

Comments

• Options
    I would definitely talk it over with your roommate. If she is up for you bringing a baby into the home, would she consider moving into a bigger house so there is room for a nursery? If not, maybe you'd be best parting - as roommates, not as friends, of course. If she is not up for you bringing a baby into her home, but she is a good friend, she won't hold any of this against you. There are probably others who wouldn't mind having a roommate with a baby.
  • Options
    Well, you are definitely in a dilemma and by your own admission, it sounds like she probably will not approve of you having a child living there AND that your place is too small. All I can suggest is maybe trying to find another single parent that has the room, and consider moving. There are lots of women that need the money and hopefully you can find someone you can get along with. I dont think your friendship is worth jeopardizing. I know it sucks. I am lucky that I own my home and I was fortunate enough to get my loan modified last year so I am no longer needing a roommate, which is why I can now finally afford to have a child. I am also working an easy, low stress second job for the time being for extra money. Good luck.
  • Options
    nriley

I suggest you start a post searching for single moms to be in your area. I am sure there are many women in your situation that may find emotional and financial support from someone going through the same thing. Just a thought. Best of luck to you!!