Options

Hello.I had my IUI 10/26/16 and returning to my dr for a 2nd IUI. When my dr viewed the sperm she was concerned for the morphology of the sperm. There was quite a bit with round heads just from the small amount of sperm placed under the scope. She didn't seem pleased but I used 1 of the 2 vials because it was already thawed and inserted into the catheter, ready for IUI. I go in for my second IUI on 10/27/16, hoping the result is not the same. I am now discouraged. I thought CCB checked for all deficiencies in regards to approving donors. Having abnormal sperm decreases the amount of viable sperm. If I don't become pregnant or become pregnant and miscarry because of the morphology issues, will I be refunded for the two vials. This is truly disappointing because my Ovulation occurs on our around Thanksgiving and Christmas, which means I won't be able to do another IUI until January 2017. Which also leads me to ask, are there reported pregnancies or live births from this donor with either ICI or IUI?

Comments

• Options
    I will call. I had my 2nd IUI at 11am and when the dr looked under the microscope there were only a handful of pointy sperm. Some were not moving and the others she questioned the morphology. I am completely just overwhelmed with the not so great amount. However, I will call Melonee. FYI the form that came with the tank said he has been on file since 2015.
  • Options
    Hi T -

Yes, we do check morphology for our applicants and donors. You can read more about our stringent screening process here:

https://cryobank.com/uploadedFiles/Cryobankcom/_forms/pdf/brochures/DonorPyramid.pdf

Donor 14535 has only been available since July and does not have reported pregnancies yet.

Please contact our Client Relations manager, Melonee Evans at 866-927-9622 x1240. We need to know more details about this matter and need a specimen report from your physician.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi T -

I'm sorry that you're feeling down about your second insemination.

Quantitative evaluation of normal and abnormal sperm morphological forms in an ejaculate is typically done by staining a seminal smear. It doesn't sound like your physician did that. Also, if the specimen was under-thawed during the evaluation, it would show less moving sperm at that moment. Sperm thrive at body temperature and often times will "wake up" once inserted into the body.

Your donor qualified with normal morphology and motility and we have more details about this on file. Please know that you're in good hands, as we have a stellar team of laboratory staff and medical directors, along with 40 years of sperm banking experience. Please contact Melonee so she can assist you further with your specific concerns.

Also, just to clarify, Donor 14535 became available for purchase in July 2016. Yes, he started our program in the summer of 2015, but it takes about 3-5 months just to go through our application process and all vials must be quarantined for at least 6 months while infectious disease testing is done. (Typically, it takes about a year from when a donor applies for the program to when vials are available for purchase.) Also, keep in mind that less than 1% of applicants are chosen to be CCB donors.

Please don't feel discouraged during your TWW. You still have the possibility of becoming pregnant.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Nicole. Thank you for responding. Every time I have had an IUI my dr conducts a seminal smear. She is very thorough in her procedure. I talked to Melonee and will forward the document to my dr for completion. I am attempting to be positive about this but my time is valuable and if the specimen was not viable, it's just prolonging my process. I hope you understand where I am coming from.

I will try to stay positive during this TWW.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    oh noooo!! i used this donor now im nervous after seeing this. fingers crossed for you and me both. i have received a BFP, but im so concerned as what the outcome may be. Please keep me posted @tryingfora3rd
  • Options
    Hi L -

Congrats on your pregnancy! Please be sure to officially report your pregnancy by calling Client Services at 866-927-9622 or by completing our online form: https://cryobank.com/Services/Post-Conception-Services/Report-Pregnancy/

Please note that our lab has followed up on this matter and multiple tests have shown that Donor 14535 has normal morphology.

Regards,

Nicole
    CCB
  • Options
    Hi Lezzbemoms.

If you have received a BFP, you are blessed. Unfortunately, I am not pregnant. Took my beta test today. I am sad, but I will be ok. Congratulations on your BFP! That's great. My doctor is filling out my claim forms as we speak. So disappointed that all 3 of my vials were the same result, majority round headed. Stay prayerful that all will be ok. Try not to be stressed or nervous. You have come to far and you will get through. :)
  • Options
    Hi Nicole. My doctor will be sending the claims as soon as possible. I will still be requesting a refund based off my doctor's observation.

Thank you.
  • Options
    @tryingfora3rd

Thanks for the words of encouragement. im so sorry to hear that things are not going as planned for you and your family. 3 vials arent cheap! so will CCB issue a refund of send you a replacement? i hope they take good care of you. sending lots of baby dust your way. keeping you in prayer as well. Dont give up!! i never thought to ask my doctor what the numbers were for my vial.
  • Options
    @lezzbemoms

Thank you so much for your encouragement. CCB issued me a credit, so I will be trying again in a couple weeks. The manager was very sincere and took good care of me, which is helpful especially when this process can be so emotional for us. I won't give up. God has a plan for my hubby and I. I am praying this time it works. I am using a different donor this time around. Prayer works and I know it will happen for us.
  • Options
    I just read all of this. I am worried nowas I am in my TWW with this donor and I am on my 3rd IUI with this donor that we have wasted our time and money. I don't know if our dr did a smear test. I'll have to call and see. Ugh this is really frustrating as this is. It a cheap process. What is CCB testing for if your Dr received different results than they did multiple times?!! I'm so discouraged:(